Shutter sound after I dropped it l (Part I)

Dropped my pristine (no longer), black .85 M6. Aside from the obvious injury,

shutter sounds strange- probably new, since I don't recall it before.

These WAV files may help, someone expert enough to tell me-<P>

Between 1/1000 and the sync speed sounds ok.

The 1/30th and 1/15th sounds like this (with a delayed click)<P>

<b>Moderator's note: please post any additional sounds and descriptions as follow-up posts to this thread, not as separate threads.</b>

A pox on you for such carelessness. Send your camera to me and I'll try to make the best use of it allowed considering its current condition, ugly dents and all.

But then again, on a positive note, consider that you have recently contributed to an upturn in the classic M6 .85 market prices... one less mint/near mint/excellent+++ camera for collectors to fawn and argue over. Of course if it was an M6 .85 TTL it doesn't count.

Subhash, I think everyone around here believes in taking care of their cameras as best as possible in the course of use, but these things happen. I have to think its difficult to maintain ideal collector value with a camera that you are going to really work, but the good news is that it will still maintain its value better than many other types of cameras. I've always gotten my worst door dings on my cars when they were only about two months old. Before that, it owns you. After that, you own it, but you can still highly value it.

Thank you all, for your help. It still doesn't sound exactly like my M3, but then, maybe they all sound a tiny bit different. Any case, I don't want to obsess over it anymore. <Now, if I could only find a mint top and bottom plate....;) >

D30 Gaijin, I did consider sending it to you, but its not ugly yet. Oh. no, not even close; only not pristine anymore.

Subhash

I would suggest a test roll or two of film shot at different shutter speeds, and hope for the best. I recently borrowed a late M-6 to compare to the feel of my older model, and found a number of subtle differences in the sound, as well as the feel of each. For instance, the winding mechanisms felt much lighter on the newer model, and the trip-distance of the release button also fired at different points in their travel. The shutters of each sounded just slightly different at slow speeds.

The first ding or scratch is rough. I tripped-up on the stairs of the Paris Metro last year, leaving a rough scrape on the baseplate. Now, whatever else happens I think, so what? Seeing what some of the oldest and hardest used M-3s and M-2s, as well as some Nikon Fs now look like, they all seem to take punishment in stride.