Rome

gill_kirkwood

Hi, hope this is the correct forum for my query.

I`m going to Rome for a week next month and have been working out a schedule for

all I want to see and do. I`ll be visiting all the usual suspects, the vatican,

the forum, the colliseum, the Trevi fountain at night etc. etc. and have spent

many hours browsing the web and reading guide books so as I dont come home and

think "wish I went there!" Tall order in just a week I know, but I think I`ve

got everything covered. However, any of you guys out there have any

recommendations for those off the tourist track places to visit and shoot? Any

ideas gratefully received. Many thanks, Gill

Gill -

You have mentioned the usual tourist attractions, and they are things that you should see.

The best time I had in Rome was the day that my wife and I walked across the Tiber and into Trastevere - and then proceeded to get lost in the back streets of that older part of Rome. Eventually, we found our way out, but the experience of wandering through areas where people actually live and that aren't on the tourist maps was really neat. And there are some fabulous photography opportunities as well as wonderful, obscure, small restaurants and cafe's to make the day go by.

An important note for your planning: pls be aware that all museums and other similar places are closed on Monday! That's the day to go to see the Vatican because they are open, or simply to do some walking through open places.

If you are in search of some potential subject series for photos beyond the tourist postcards, here are some suggestions: 1)fountains. 2) stray cats (the populate all archeological sites). 3) "Madonnine" (Images of Holy Mary usually at street corners. There are dozen and dozen of them). 4) Street cafés and trattorie.

If you are interested in fine lingeries, there is a shop in Via dei Giubbonari (near Argentina Square, not very far from the Pantheon) whose dressing/undressing cabin is located exactly on top of the spot where Julius Caesar was killed (they will show it to you if you ask).

Even a quick look at all is worth seeying in Rome would take many months. However, I would recommend you should try to take half a day off and go to see the nearby dead city of Ostia Antica (less tham half an hour by train). It is very much like Pompeii although far less known.

Hey, thanks for the replies! Charles, our break is booked, so rain or not we`re going! Louie, I like the sound of your excursion, just the thing we like to do. And thanks for the heads up on the closures Bonsignore, the trip to Ostia Antice looks fascinating, I`ve googled it. Thanks to all again, Gill.

Gill - I was in Rome just recently and had some fantastic experiences. I think one of the

first things we did was buy a pass for one of those double-decker busses that let you on

and off where you want. We didn't care for the narrative but it was a relatively inexpensive

way to get around to ALL major tourist sites without having to consult a guide book and a

map at every turn.

I must admit that we quickly got tired of the masses of people who went to the very same

locations that we did and hence, we decided to simply walk around a little. Especially at

the Trevi fountain it was very easy to just leave tourist hell behind and find some Plazas

and fountains that were far less frequented. We had a great time discovering something

new around every turn and enjoyed sitting at various plazas observing a more authentic

version of Roman life unfold before our eyes.

We also decided to walk toward Circus Maximus from the Colloseum where we discovered

a less crowded entrace to the forum that made our excursion quite enjoyable. Further up

the road toward the Pyramid of Cestius, we left anything and everything related to tourism

behind and delved into the real Rome with some great (and suprisingly affordable) food

and quite a bit to see, too.

LOL, tourists wanting to avoid tourists. What's wrong with "the masses"? You're one of them. I lived in Paris recently. On the weekends I would walk to Notre Dame to be with the masses, people from all over the world, feed the pigeons old bread, watch the bird whisperer, and photograph...the masses. Don't worry about the masses, they find the most interesting places. You're not Rick Steeves (a showman and an idiot, IMHO).

You may already have included these in your plans:

How about the Spanish Steps? Though, it is pretty crowded, during the day. There is also a building called: Vittorio Emanuele Monument. It's near the Colosseum.

And "Castle Saint Angelo" is near St. Peters. From the top it offers a great view of the St. Peters. There are also some bridges that offer some great shots.

Here is picture I took from one of the bridges. The bridge in the picture leads to the castle (which is on the right side, but not on this picture).

http://www.photo.net/photo/3719954

Have fun, and safe travels,

Amol

Oh well, the potential tips are endless... Just a few things about St. Peter:

1) When in the place, try to locate any of two small spots on the obelisk/fountains aligments that are marked with a small reddish-colored round stone. These are the focii of the ellypse, and by standing there you will see the four column rows in the columnade magically become one.

2) When inside, take a close look at the many and apparently not that impressive "paintings" over the altars. They are not paintings at all - they are mosaics made by thousands and thousands extremely small stones.

3) Go to the lantern on top of the cupola. Entrance is from inside to church to the left. The sight is breathtaking.

4) Any Scottish connections? The last Stuarts, both the "Old" and "Young Pretender" are buried there.

Gill -

One other point - sadly, in Rome it is necessary to be especially vigilant about pickpockets. The band we encountered were kids - all pre-teen. Their trick is that one kid distracts your attention while another lifts your wallet, passport, etc. Its a good idea to do your touring in pairs, each person watching the back of the other.

• 2 weeks later...