Nikon d80 vs Cannon 30d

bob_flounders

There is no problem discussing Fuji DSLRs in this forum. For one thing there is no Fuji Forum in photo.net, so the Nikon Forum is the closest alternative since the Fuji DSLRs are based on Nikon bodies and use Nikon F mount lenses.

The issue with this thread is that Bob Flounders originally asked about the Canon 30D vs. the D80 and indicates that his budget is $1500. We are not sure that $1500 is all for the body and what his photography interests are. Unfortunately, Bob hasn't posted again to provide more details.

I would rather stick with the original 30D vs. D80 topic. The D200 is sort of on topic since it is within $1500 now. The Fuji S5 is a bit above that budget and is mainly good for certain high ISO, wide-dynamic-range photography such as indoor weddings.

Well, somehow this turned into a D200 versus D80 thread. As to the OP, the D200 is more like the 30D than the D80 is; both the D200 and 30D have 5 fps and much larger buffers than the D80's 3 fps and very small buffer. Both the D200 and 30D have similar AF capabilities, which make them cameras you will see being used side by side with comparable results. The difference will come down to the photographer's technique and choice of lenses. I do sometimes shoot sports, and would unequivocally stick with what I said in my first post in this thread.

Dave Lee telling me and others that we are wasting our money buying a D200, and that the D80 is a better camera is simply wrong. The larger buffer is I think the biggest issue between the two cameras, and that alone is worth the difference in price (just look at how much it cost to upgrade the buffer on the Fuji S3 to put this in perspective).

Regarding the Matrix metering issue, it's there with the D80 (which sometimes exposes unpredictably) and not with the D200; my D200 exposes consistently and predictably and I usually set the exposure to +.3 for normal to telephoto lenses and +.7 for wide angle lenses.

The AF is not identical, specifically inasmuch as I have more ability to fine tune group and single-area dynamic focus modes and changing focus modes is accessible via a switch on the back of the camera and does not require digging into the menus.

Regarding IQ between the D80 and D200, there is no difference in the NEFs with one minor exception -- sometimes the D200 exhibits banding. The noise is the same in both cameras unless you are shooting in-camera JPEGs.

The menus on the D200 include a lockable "Recent Settings" tab which I use all the time to quickly access the buried settings, and there are also the shooting and menu memory banks (4 each). Finally, I find the "Scene Modes" not only useless, but dangerous because along with other settings on the D80, are subject to accidental changes that can cause missed shots. Since Albert mentioned a small specific issue of zooming in on the D200, my camera is set to zoom to one level short of the maximum magnification with a single press of the navigation button in the back (this is at f1 in the menu); I can't imagine it being any easier than that. I would mirror what Albert says though, no reason not to like the D80 if it suits your needs; it just comes up short to meeting mine.

I would definitely say,

1. D200

2. 30D

3. D80

I own the D200 but considered the 30D very seriously. I feel the D200 will have a longer shelf life so to speak. I am very happy with my choice but would have been happy with the 30D. The 30d has a 2 megapixel deficit but makes up for it somewhat in better high ISOs and better AF. It really just depends on what you will be shooting mostly. If you shoot a lot of sports then I would lean towards the 30d, if you shoot studio/portraits I would go with the D200. Overall image quality is better with the D200. The 30d in most reviews looses out to the D200 but just barely though. IMO the D200 will have the most longevity out of all three cameras given it's professional build quality, features, and excellent overall image quality.

Folks, please respond to this thread only if you are directly answering Bob's original question.

There is a market for each camera among the D40, D40x, D80, D200 and D2Xs, and that is why Nikon makes all of them. Unless you are like Thom Hogan who reviews DSLRs and writes guide books for a living, most likely you do not need every single model. Just because you don't need a particular model doesn't mean other people don't also. So please do not continue that kind of debate.

For the record, while I have the earlier D2X, I otherwise own none of the above right now and am having somewhat a hard time deciding which one to get as a backup myself, because there are so many trade offs.

In the range of 1500 and below the D200 and the 30D are your best overall performing and best built cameras. It really just comes down to what features appeal to you and which company has the lenses you want or need. Between the 30d and the D80, IMHO I would not even hesitate to get the Canon. My only reservation in getting it was the body change that is sure to happen in September. Although the D200 is due very soon, I feel the performance is high enough from the current model to be competitive for a while.

This whole line is kind of wacky. I have seen the S5 and the D200 advertised for the same price somewhere recently. I can't see why anyone wanting a sensor in this range would go for one of the Nikons. As for the 30D, why compare it to the D80 and not the Rebel? Why would you want an 8mp but not a 10mp Canon anyway? I wish the Fuji had been available a few months sooner.

In response to RL Potts, the 400D is a very different camera to the 30D. The only advantage it has is the 2MP resolution increase, however it's also smaller, and therefore less comfortable, as well as lacking the top LCD of the 30D. So really, while the 400D might offer slightly higher resolution, it's in no way an upgrade to the 30D.

As far as 30D vs D200 is concerned (I wouldn't rate the D80 in the same tier) I think the 30D has marginally better image quality, perhaps noticeably so at high ISO. However, the D200 is far better ergonomically, though it doesn't take long to become accustomed to either camera.

• 2 weeks later...