money on glass or body

kevin_lindeque

Hello all

I have a nikon d70 with 18 - 70 kit lens and a 70 - 300 g kit lens, now that i

am getting into it a bit more (assisting a pro more regularly, he is letting

me loose on my own soon!)i would like to invest in a second body and better

glass.

I dont have a huge budget ?1500 ($3000us) i could buy a d200 for ?800 ($1600)

and spend the rest on glass or would you say i should buy another d70 and use

a greater proportion on lenses.

I would like the nikkor 70 - 200 but that blows nearly my entire budget

please advise, as my head is in a spin, i have trawled this forum for so long

that i just cant see my way clear

Unless you need faster glass, the 18/70 is a fine lens. I put some leica lenses on my D 200 and compared with the 18/70. The Nikon is a bit lower in contrast, has a bit less shadow detail, and is softer in the corners. The corners don`t matter in wedding work. PS can fix the other stuff. I AM TALKING REALLY SMALL DIFFERENCES.

You need more MP to do large prints. D200 is 10. Native RAW is 8x12 at 300 ppi.

You need some back up lenses though. What happens if the motor freezes. I fail to see what good long teles are for wedding stuff. My wedding was done with a Rollie 2 1/4 and a Mutar or two. I know lots for wedding photogs who carry a Leica 35/50/90.

Buy some decent lighting, D200, 18/55 kit lens and go with that for now. In that order.

The D200 is around $1300.00 and a great camera, your d70 being a nice backup. You need 2.8 lenses or better. Get a 50mm 1.8 for $90.00 and the 17-55DX for about $1200.00. Also get an SB-800 and you should be under your budget or stay at budget and get an SB-600 and use the Nikon CLS system in both the D200 and D70. The 70-200mmVR is nice but not used often for the price and your situation. An 80-200 2.8 will work fine for 1/4 of the price used.

Personally, while I think the kit lens is a great piece of glass for the money, it's way too slow for wedding work and I use 17-55 for the majority of my shots. It's a stout piece of glass and the fixed f2.8 aperture is really useful for low light wedding situations.

Frankly I think the D70 is a great little camera and the megapixel thing is way over-blown (even though I now shoot with a D200 and D2X). Most of your printed images will be in an album and probably no bigger than 8 by 10. I've enlarged D-70 images to 20 by 30 and they're fine.

So in my opinion, go for the glass. And yes the 70-200 is a fantastic lens.

Paul

I'd strongly recommend a faster lens over a new body, (for now), if you had to make that

choice.

A D200 (~$1400), a 17-55 2.8 (~$1200), and an SB800 (~$315) wouldn't put you over

budget, and they will change your shooting drastically when used right. ;)

The 70-200 (~1600) plus the D200 (~$1400) would suit your needs too.

As far as shooting weddings go, many of my photographer friends find that they don't use

their 70-200 very often. It's pretty heavy. I love it for engagement portraits. The 85 1.8 (~

$400) is also great portrait lens.

In my bag I've got the following, if it helps...

D200

D70s

17-55 2.8

50 1.8

85 1.8

70-200 2.8

SB 800

SB 600

My next purchase will be to upgrade the D70s to another D200, and upgrade the SB600 to

another SB800.

My advice (and what I did) (feel free to ignore it though!):

- the d70 is fine for now

- get top quality fast glass. I found compromising was a false economy for the photography I like to do. Fast, top quality glass doesn't "age" as quickly as a digital SLR. I imagine I'll still be using my 85mm f1.2 long after my current camera body has stopped working

- get a backup film camera that takes the same lenses

I agree with the glass people. It doesn't matter how good the camera is if the galss isn't fast

enough to get the picture in focus and well exposed, and how often are you making really

enormous prints that would be and indicator for an upgraded body? And how often are you

making pictures in poor light, and wishing you had just a little more speed. Do some more

gigs make some more cash, and by then the ___(fill in dream body here) will be cheap

enough to purchase... or there will be something way more expensive and way cooler out to

drool over.

I was kind of in your shoes a few weeks ago. I had a D70 and wanted to get either a lens or a body and I debated for months. I went for the 70-200 2.8 to handle church weddings better (most of my stuff is outside on the beach, so a 2.8 wasn't usually "needed"). Sure enough, the day the lens shipped, I had issues with the camera not reading memory cards and NEEDED a replacement right away. I ordered the D200 immediately. The lens is fantastic! The D200 has great features over the D70, but resolution isn't the primary one. Others have stated above that the it is fine for most enlargements. I did a 30"x40" from the D70 as a test and it looked great. If it weren't for the camera problem I wouldn't have gotten the D200.

My advice, go with the better glass. That will make the bigger difference in image quality, especially in low light. Feeling the need for more 2.8 glass, I ordered a 35-70 2.8 yesterday for $500 from B and H. It's not as wide as I would really like, but about 1/3 the price of the newer, wider lens.

I re-read your question though and I have a question. The 17-200 is about $1600 and the D200 is about $1300. You could get both and still be inside your budget. Or you could get the lens and a backup body, but try to get one that uses the same cards.

Good luck,

Sam

If you are just assisting now, I would hold on to your money and save more. Say for that D2Xs

you have been eyeing. If you live in a major city, most likely you can rent the pro glass and

that way you can test to see which lens you will need the most when you are on your own. If

you are a second shooter, you get to experiment more & not feel the pressure of getting

every shot.

Save your money!! :)

I agree with everyone who is telling you to get the best lenses you can. In the last 8 years of doing photography (5 years of weddings) I have changed camera bodies 4 times but I'm still shooting the same glass. As well, the difference between fast versus slow glass will be much more noticeable than the difference in D70 versus D200.

Kevin,

I'm with the glass people. A D40 with good glass is better the a D2X with slow glass. My primary lens for the critical portrait type photos are the 17-55 F2.8, 80-200 F2.8,

85F1.4 and 50 F1.4.

I also use the 18-200 VR for the reception/dancing/fun photojournalistic photos where I need to go from wide angle to close up very quickly.

Hopes this helps