Wedding Receiving Lines - What to take Pictures of?

jackie_boldt

Was wondering what people take pictures of during the receiving line?

I had a large wedding today with 300+ guests. The receiving line took over an

hour! I took pictures of the people talking and waiting and the bride and groom

hugging and talking to their guests, but that got old after a while.

I don't know if I should just keep taking pictures of people hugging and talking

or if there is something else creative to do during that time? What do you

normally do?

It depends. Example if the contracted hours of service is such that the receiving line period falls within then you would have to get pictres of that. Issue is when they ask for where is that picture of us and my uncle joe or worse have to locate you when they want to take a picture with aunt sue and you are some where else - to expect some unhpappiness to surface latter if the couple should be unsatified with the rest of the picutures.

Your contract could explicitedly exclude certain situations from cover - there are some photogs in my area that sell a PJ wedding and specify that they will not do table or group shots. So if you find it mind deadening to do the line - this could be a way out in future.

Yes I agree it gets old after 15 minutes and it messy to shoot too. Some time you have to take the good with the not so good.

I usually shot a lot during the receiving line, am always nearby shooting maybe guests mingling together, kids hanging around, but the b/g are always within 15-20ft tops. I don't get everyone coming thru, but if the bride wants one, I shoot it.

This gives me an opportunity to try new things with lines of people, DoF, groups, lighting, etc., but ready in a second for the real shot.

I find it hard to get decent shots that aren't backs of people - but if you hang around and keep yopur eyes open, there can be some nice opportunities too - and as someone else said it is good to be nearby should the bride and groom request a shot with Aunt Millie.

I start with pictures of family and wedding party hugging b&g as they come out of the church. I make sure to get shots of anyone wearing a corsage interacting with the couple.

If the lighting is good, I go down the line taking individual portrait shots of the wedding party as they {hopefully) unselfconsciously smile and laugh while greeting guests.

I get shots of the back of the bride's dress for details.

I get shots of kids being kids.

I put a wide angle lens on the camera and put it on the ground aiming it up to include b&g and church steeple.

I also watch where my camera bag is so it doesn't walk away in the hubbub.

I photograph the guests and the couple in the line. it's a great opportunity to get good candids, particularly when the parents are talking to their friends, and the couple is talking to their friends. everyone is very happy and relaxed for some receiving lines...but maybe not for an hour!

• 1 month later...
You should have a member of the family that knows both sides of the wedding party at your side for the entire wedding. They can tell you who is important to shoot. Sometimes, when the families are not from the same area then get a member from both the bride and grooms family.