Olympus OM1 md

jeff bishop

It's not by any chance a black OM-1n? I got mugged in East Falls on March 28 and they took

both of the cameras I had on me -- a black Leica D-Lux 3, and my black OM-1n. The OM

had a 50/1.4 and metal Olympus hood on it. The frame counter was a little sluggish to reset

itself. It had a Wein air cell and converter holder so that the battery voltage would be correct.

Hey, you never know. I had to ask.

Hi Melanie, No, it's an old Chrome one with a good counter and a meter I don't trust. (I use sunny 16 or a small hand held meter).

I wish it was yours. The joy of sending it back to a rightful owner would far exceed the disappointment of seeing it go.

I have always thought East Falls was a fairly secure place. Where were you at the time?

Also, I'll keep my eyes open for your cameras. I like checking out the pawn shops from time to time. I hope you were insured.

I love the chrome OM-1's (mine is a member of that illustrious club). I don't have a choice in trusting the meter or not as it is dead. I can't complain otherwise as the rest of the camera is in perfect condition. My Father purchased it back around '73 or so soon after my mother and he graduated and got married. They used it for about 15 years or so and then it languished in a closet until he gave it to me right before I graduated from college. I have been enjoying mine ever since (and I have been slowly collecting lenses).

I still want to get a good example of an OM-1 or OM-1n with a working meter as my primary camera and use my current OM-1 as a back up though. So far sunny 16 has been working fine 95% of the time. Its when I get indoors or near dark that I have more of a problem metering scenes.

Anyway, glad you ended up getting the camera and I hope you are enjoying it!

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately they weren't insured. They were both gifts, so credit card insurance does

not apply, and not covered by any other insurance. Sadness.

I was on Indian Queen Lane. I thought East Falls was pretty safe too. I was staying with a

friend and she was totally freaked out. I got mugged right in front of her house.

The meter in mine worked flawlessly and was extremely fast to use, except when it was

darkish out. I think the match needle concept would be perfect if the thing glowed in the

dark a little. They're a lot easier to read than tiny numbers in the viewfinder, for me at

least.

I still have an OM-G, which will take the same pictures, but since it's plastic and clunky it

isn't nearly as much of a pleasure to use and I find myself unmotivated to carry it. I hope

to replace my lost OM with another black OM-1n, eventually. Enjoy yours, they are

a pleasure to use and the lenses are great.

Nice work, can't beat a classic OM-1. I seem to collect them actually. I have a chrome OM-1n, a chrome OM-1 MD (and I just sold another OM-1) - I use them both regularly, neither camera has ever given me any problems and the meters are both accurate (one has had battery conversion and one I use zinc/air 1.4v batteries).

I use them as much as my OM-4 and I must say i've been using my OM-2 less and less simply because they don't have mirror lockup or pre-fire, which makes a big difference with longer lenses and long exposures.

nothing beats the ticking sound you get when taking a photo at 1/1sec with an OM1!!!!