K10D and Sunpak MZ440AF

dave_jonsson3

Does anybody know if the Sunpak MZ440AF-PT, for a film Pentax, will work OK on

a K10D?

This flash is a Pentax-dedicated no options model (full TTL only, all the

time) that works great on my ZX-5n. I guess I'm also wondering, even if it

doesn't work TTL, will trying it out on the K10D damage the camera?

Pentax only mentions their own brand of flash, and Sunpak, in their web page,

leaves it vague whether any digitals will work with it.

I have no experience with the flash you ask about but I have used an old Cullmann flash on my DL, the issues that are talked about with older flash on digital seem to relate more to problems with Canon bodies. I would assume that a flash producing similiar or lower trigger voltage to Pentax flashes will be safe to use. This site has tests of trigger voltages of many flash guns but I don't see a reference to the model you mention: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Hope that is of some help.

I own the camera but have no experience with the flash in question. But the film flash units from both Pentax and after market manufactures will generally not work with the K110,K100 or K10D in TTL mode. The reason is the digital sensor sensitivity is different that that of film. The TTL mode will always overexpose the digital cameras' images by 2-3 stops or more. The camera's manual only mentions the 360 and 540 flash units for that reason. This incompatibility is the same for Canon's, Nikon's and others as well for the same reasons. Now that being said you may have some very good luck with the flash in the 'Auto' mode if it has one. I use an AF280T and a AF400T on my K10D and the results are great. So give it a try in auto (it won't damage the camera) and see what happens. You may have to adjust the EV setting on the camera to change the exposure depending on the flash but for me the 280 and 400 both work fine with zero EV correction.

The K10D requires P-TTL for through-lens flash metering operation and that Sunpak does

not support it.

I wouldn't put anything on the hotshoe that had a trigger voltage over 6V. You can

measure that yourself: with the flash off camera and a Volt-Ohm-Meter set to DC Volts,

turn on the flash and let it charge up. Check between the center post and the side contact

in the hot shoe rails for voltage with the probes.

You can use flashes that have a higher trigger voltage with a Wein Safe Sync to protect the

camera's circuitry.

Godfrey

I would agree with Godfrey about the Safe Sync. Forty bucks is better than ruining your camera. You'd be amazed at some of the trigger voltages old flashes put out. The old, small Sunpak vertical flashes like the 321, 411, etc, can crank out over 200 volts at the hot shoe. I measured all the flashes I have. Even the 444D comes in at about 11 volts.

The older flashes should work OK on Auto with the camera on M or X, I think. Now that I have the Safe Sync, I'm going to try a couple and see what kind of results I get.

I want to also thank the guys about flash trigger voltages. I had no idea some of the older flashes could put out that kind of voltage!!! Sorry for any possibly misleading info I posted. (that's what they say, don't believe everything you read on the net!) I'll be more careful as well.

Well I did try the AF280T and it works great in Auto mode and has lots of power. Kinda heavy for the K10D, though. I'm going to try other auto flashes that have low trigger voltages and are lighter. Now I'm wondering if second curtain synch will work with this auto flash. Hmmmm.......

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

Well I have here this sunpack and the K100D.

I was wondering if there were any 'tricks' on this site of how to make better use of it then 'manual'.

With 4.7 Volts, the trigger-voltage is no problem, but the TTL-function doesn't work and the compensation in the body is not doing enough. Actually in auto-function the body actually takes 1/30 second pictures when the flash is enabled with a wide angle lens.

I tried to tape the contacts on the foot of the flash but still no good results; the camera just doesn't recognise the flash.

with the Pentax Flash AF240Z, the body does exactly as it should do: makes a good picture without any further compensation.