Very high quality small film camera. Is there still any model on the market?

In 2007, 8,000 units of a $700+ film camera with a fixed lens might be the functional equivalent of an inexhaustible supply. In any case, you only want one. The Fuji Klasse W is available from <a href="http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/index.php?cPath=31">Megaperls Webshop</a>.<br><br>

I think you will have plenty of good choices if you are willing to rethink your requirement of a new camera that has not been discontinued. Many cameras of this type do not see heavy use.

The Rollei Prego Micron was the same as the Ricoh R1. I have a Ricoh R1e that has the same lens, but not the wide angle panoramic feature. You can sometimes search out new-old-stock if you look hard enough. If you want new, there's nothing wrong with the Olympus Stylus Epic. If you learn to use the spot metering function effectively it's almost as good as manual controls. I still have a Rollei Prego 30 (not micron), which is very nicely made with an aluminum body and 30mm 3 element lens, that is very sharp, and has Rollei's HFT coating. The Prego 30 moves the lens into position when you half press the shutter, unlike many automatic compact film cameras which just calculate the position, but don't move the elements until you take the shot which results in the irritating lag. Once the prego 30 is primed, the shot is immediate.

Of course the better new cameras of this type are now digital. I'd recommend the Canon G7, it's like a digital Canonet, or maybe even Leica CL. Very well built, you're unlikely to find any new compact, film or digital, as well put together and as capable.

I'm not aware of any camera that fulfills *all* of your requirements. The Klasse W comes close (I doubt it's manual focus, though) and is still in production. Otherwise there's the featurewise similar (yet more compact) Ricoh GR1 that you can find used for half the price of the Klasse W new.

Leica CM, the greatest P & S ever made.

Ricoh GR1 second only to CM in terms of overall design.

Rollei 35, Rollei 35S, great lens, metal body, too awkward to use.

Olympus Stylus Epic cheap but good little camera.