Which lens has better image quality?

korie_nordstrom

Every test I've seen says that they are near identical in terms of sharpness/colour, etc. Some test pick the 28-135 as the slight winner, others pick the 28-105. It all comes down to which one you want: The faster one with a shorter focal length, or the slow one with IS. However, for the purpose you mentioned, there are MUCH better lenses out there for the same price (I.E a 50 f1.4). This type of shooting is best suited to a prime lens.

Then buy the 28-135. Of course it's the better lens. Anyone can tell this by looking at the price tags. :)

OK, seriously, I still think it's a better lens for most things. It is at most, a half stop slower, and the addition of image stabilization makes it more usable in marginal light situations. Optically, they are similar, but the 28-135 is also considerably larger, and uses 72mm filters instead of 58mm.

BTW, I've decided to sell my 28-135. I don't like the focal length for my digital camera. It was great for the film camera, but the 20D has a smaller frame and I don't like the crop. I prefer wider general use zooms, but it's a personal preference.

Anyway, if you want mine, it's $300 and comes with the lens hood. The zoom has gotten loose, but that is a common complaint as they wear. Otherwise, it's a great lens.

Judge for yourself:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/28zooms.html

I don't think there's a great deal in it. The 28-135IS is worth the extra cost because of the wider zoom range and the Image Stabilization. Based purely on image quality, there's not much to chose between them.

The "II" version of the 28-104/3.5-4.5 is optically identical to the original version. The changes were mainly cosmetic.

The 28-105 has the adventages of being a bit smaller, a bit lighter, cheaper and taking smaller (58mm) filters.

I'm using a Canon 30D (1.6 crop) I do like the 80 f1.8 but I don't have alot of working space, so I thought the 50 would be better for me. All I have is the kit camera which is a zoom, I've never used a prime and I guess to only buy primes makes me a little nervous.

Not to muddy the waters but I would suggest looking at a Tamron 17-50/2.8. Since it's faster, it'd basically make up for the loss of IS and the aperture is constant thru the zoom range. You've got something a little wider for getting close to the child and IQ should be close enough to the Canons. You lose the long end but IMO, for child shooting, it'd be worth it.

Jim, what are you replacing, or going to use instead of the 28-135?

I think, Keith may have a point about the Tamron. I've heard lots of good things about it. I'm thinking about getting one.

I have the 28-105 it is great general purpose lens on my film SLR. But on digital a 28mm is not wide enough as a general-purpose lens. The Tamron 17-50 f.28 sounds really useful.

Amol

Hi Amol, I already replaced it with the Canon 17-55 f/2.8. Actually, since switching to small frame digital several years ago, I haven't used the 28-135 but a few times. Right now it's just taking up space.

I'm also getting rid of a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. I thought I could save money by buying it instead of the Canon, but focus is not reliable in low light. I have to stab the AF button at least twice to make sure, and that doesn't work for weddings. If you're not in a hurry it will work, otherwise it's a good lens. $275 if you want to try it. You can recover that much from it on eBay.

>> The "II" version of the 28-104/3.5-4.5 is optically identical to the original version. The changes were mainly cosmetic.

There is actually, one difference. 28-105 (I) has 5 diaphragm blades and (II) has 7. This gives slightly better bokeh, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

I had version I, II and the 28-135 IS. Sold all and never looked back again. They loose in sharpness/contrast/color vibrance department to any, no matter how cheap, prime. Colors are mutted, never sharp unless stop down to about f/8 and even then they don't shine, lack of contrast.

I would reckon on a cropped camera a single 28mm or 35mm prime would do the job nicely, especially if paired with 85mm f/1.8 for close up portraits. For a full-frame camera, I'd pick 50mm + 100 (135)mm primes.

<p>I upgraded from one of the 28-105/3.5-4.5 lenses (the second half of the first generation, which is identical in every way that matters to the II) to the 28-135, and when <a href="http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/writings/eflenses.html" target="_blank">I tested them against each other</a>, I found the 28-135 won, overall. It's not best in every single way, but it beats the 28-105 by at least a slight margin more than it loses. The extra range is handy at times, and IS is handy a <em>lot</em> (for me, anyway).</p>

<p>If the price, size, weight, and filter size differences aren't significant to you, get the 28-135.</p>