580 EX type1 availability

brian_faini

So what is withe everyone being sold out of the 580ex. I know they have released

the type2 but how long ago would they have stopped shipping the type1. B&H has

the US warranty model but probably in short supply, KEH and Adorama are out.

Adorama doesn't even show them anymore just the new type2, Amazon is the same

way. I dont feel that the minor improvements are worth the extra $100 and wanna

get one new is B&H my only hope?

I thought the plastic shoe was designed to be the weak point in order to avoid ripping the hotshoe off the camera when you drop it with the flash attached or bang the flash into something while it's attached to the camera! It's easier and cheaper to replace the plastic flash hotshoe than the one on the camera.

I'm with Bob - breaking a flash is better than breaking a camera body... same doesn't apply to metal lens mounts as stability is the No.1 aim there, IMO...

But to answer the question: it's simple commercials, I suspect. Why keep supplying a 10 dollar shake when a 15 dollar one is launched?!

well the "$15 shake" isn't even shipping yet. I just find it strange because I know with Canon's bodies they usually have them in stock for months after the newer body is shipping, they do not disappear before the new one ships.

I noticed that the 285HV is being re-released with a metal shoe but that is not something you really ever see on a camera body, I guess it would be nice to have it on a stand or such for durability. I agree that I would rather save my 3-6x more expensive camera body than my strobe.

Brian, i wonder how many people took advantage of double rebate and bought a 580ex. I was one. I do know that amazon/adorama had them as low as 371 to clear out inventory, so maybe thats why its gone. If you wait until next week, the price difference might not even be $100.00 if Canon has a Spring Rebate and the flash is part of that. Classic situation of do I stay or do i go? Good luck.