Mamiya Help

c.l_brady

I want to start shooting portraiture and fashion and have been advised to buy a

medium format camera since I'd like to shoot for magazines etc. What should I

buy? and what is the difference between Mamiya's RB and RZ 67 cameras. Many

thanks in advance for any help

I've owned RBs and RZs, but currently own Mamiya 7IIs. If I were going back to MF SLR, I'd buy the the current RB67 Pro SD:

http://www.mamiya.com/ViewInfo.asp?id=1&id2=15&id3=16

While I generally liked the sleeker RZ Pro II better, the RB will accept a 6x8cm 120/220 Power Drive Back. The 6x8cm format is a magazine format, which may be of benefit to you:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5338&A=details&Q=&sku=33832&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Certain Photo Buyers/Editors will insist on images of greater quality that today?s Canon 16.6MP FF camera can yield. This can be because of premeditated expectations or need for serious huge enlargements, ultra-quality magazine finish, major cropping of original file or simply an Old School attitudes... There are also optical attributes unique to MF, certain tonality/contrast of particular film types and some Buyers are after that look. All that said, when (if) Canon makes a 22MP camera or using a digital back, 22-27MP or greater, will mostly replace any rational need for film. Until then, a RZ67 II or IID will keep most folks happy. Scanning with a Nikon CS9000 or certainly using a drum scanner from a service lab, 6x7cm film/slides still rules! And with the inevitable lower cost of digital back, the RZ67 will keep you in the running for the foreseeable future. Just a whole lot more work? The much older RB67 series will not? Hope this helps, Good Luck!

It would seem to be ill advice to use other than digital these days for anything other than personal pleasure. I truely enjoyed using my RZ last Summer on my travels. However, I also have several dozen DVDs of RAW digital images taken with a Canon 20D from those same travels.

I did forget to mention I am on a pretty tight budget and am shooting most of my work on a Canon EOS 1D. I was advised by a well known pro to which I won't name drop. I just need to start shooting fashion portfolio that will be good enough quality to present to art buyers.

Go with that pro's advice C.L.

I've just done exactly the same thing as you're thinking of.

To summarize my decission:

*MF has an optical quality due to it's physics (DOF) a DSLR can't get that 'look'

*In fashion or beauty portraiture the 'look' is IT. No one cares about how you get it, just

get it or else.

* High end digi capture is a prohibitive cost right now (it will change)

* You don't need to machine gun a scene so frame rate restriction is not a concern.

* You'll get no respect on set with a plastic digi cam.

* the higher the magazines place in the world, the more film capture in their pages. It

looks expensive.

* Mamiya RZ gear is so cheap right now. I've bought a whole truck full of gear plus a

scanner for way less than a 5D set up with L glass.

*Compare 1 year's film processing (scan a haome up to A3) with digital depreciation. Film

works out the same or cheaper.

Take your film MF learning and shoot some 4x5 (my next plan) & tell me if that's good

enough for a fashion/beauty cover.

I think it's reverse evolution. I'm a computer techno guy from the start, but my eye's tell

me there's a different path needed here.

Hope it help's. Let me know what you do ;-)

An upper end DSLr will shoot at a higher or better resolution that film. The limiting size factor on medium format files is the size of the digital file. You will also have to purchase a computer with software to digest these files. Its a big forest with a lot of trees. BTW metering capacity and the ability correctly set the exposure is also a factor. So, you have to buy lighting equipment and metering capacity as well. $$$$$$$$$$