Wireless flash af 360 on the k10d and k100d

gav

Hi all,

I can't seem to find information on the wireless compatability for the af360

fgz and the k10d and k100d.

I have a fairly comprehensive 35mm system that includes this flash, and i

really like the wireless function with the 35mm *ist camera.

do the k10d and k100d give the same functionality? The k100d probably has

enough resolution for me, and i'd rather not spend the extra on the 10, but if

the 10 has wireless and the 100 doesn't, that could swing the decision.

Anyone got any experience or photos using the wireless af360 fgz?

thanks

works like a charm...i have the 360 and ist D and K10D, as well as several 35mm Pentax. The 360 works on the D and K10D wireless with the onboard flash triggering the wireless flashes.

However, while I know the K10D has wireless, I do not know the the K100D has ON BOARD Wireless. After the Ist D or Ds (not sure if the Ds had onboard control) Pentax went to a 2 flash system. I suspect the K100D doesn't since the K10D initially shipped without this but firmware 1.1 allowed for onboard flash trigger.

2 flash meaning you needed a 360, 540 or Sigma 500 to trigger a second flash. this is a waste of a flash IMO when you already have a small and generally useless (but perfect for a trigger) on board flash.

If you download the firmware version 1.10 for the K10D, you can control the remote flash with the on-board flash. Instructions in the reader file.

I think the currect firmware version is 1.2, but I haven't installed that. I think the only thing that does is remove the user ability to fix the front-focus problem.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I "hear" it also depends on which lense you have. I received this today from a K10D

owner.......

Yep, I have a K10d, don't know if I ever mentioned it. I went back at old messages and

looked but didn't see any mention of it. 2 things will cause your wireless flash not to work

(other than defective equipment). First, Is the firmware or software level of your camera

and second, is the type of lens you are using. You can check your firmware level by

holding down the MENU button while turning the camera on, then release the menu

button. It should be at Least level 1.10. I don't know if or when they started shipping

cameras with the updated firmware but you may still be at 1.00 level. Pentax firmware is

currently at version 1.11 but 1.10 will get you everything you need and turn on a few other

nice features. Rumor has it they are about to release a version 1.2 for the newer DA*

lenses but unless you have one, 1.10 will get you everything you need and more. You can

grab the official version here complete with instructions on how to install it.

http://rolleiman.com/help/K10D_firmware_1.10.zip

The second thing that'll cause wireless flash not to work is the lens. It will NOT work with

an M (Pentax-M) type lens. That is, if the camera cannot select the Aperture, no wireless

flash. I don't know why that is, it's annoying, and I thought P-TTL controled the flash, not

the camera aperture, but that's the way it is. I guess the camera has to be able to read the

aperture and compare it with the metering to properly set the flash. I was disappointed to

learn I couldn't use wireless with my bellows unit (which acts like an M lens) for macro

photos. With something like the Kit lens though (18mm - 55mm DA) it Should work.

All of that out of the way and taken care of, if you can select it, it should fire the flash (the

camera flash does have to be up for it to work). The only other thing I can think of is you

may need to tell the camera what Channel the flash is you want to fire. The 540 (and I'm

pretty sure the 360 as well) will work off of 4 channels. I think the camera defaults to

channel 1 and there should be no need to select another but it's worth checking. Either the

camera or the flash manual should help you through that (I don't remember which).

There Are a couple modes also that won't allow wireless flash (green mode comes to

mind). However, IF you can select it, it Should work. That's about as much help as I'm

going to be with wireless Pentax flash.

I started trying to figure out how to get my wireless 360 working with my k10d this evening

at 5 pm. I just blinded myself wirelessly now at 8:35 pm. What screwed up manuals! Three

different sets of instructions (Camera, Flash and Firmware) all telling different stories. One

says you can set the wirelss flash mode in the green mode on the dial. You cant.