firmware update.

"The undersigned M8 users respectfully request that Leica include an option for

user selectable lens profiles via the menu as soon as is possible."

Sign here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/M8menu/petition.html

Your email will remain private, even from me. Might be a good idea to put your

country in the comments field.

I added my name.

It seems like it should be an easy thing to do - with my D200 it's *very* easy to set this information. I think that's part of the appeal of the M platform - they have a good ecosystem with plenty of lenses by other companies to appeal to all budgets and needs. The fact that Leica is trying to lock things in a bit is concerning - especially when they don't make all lenses for all uses (a 15mm, for example)

I don't use my 'user profiles' for anything (there aren't a ton of options I need to quickly swap in/out) - I figure user selectable lens profiles would be a good candidate for that.

"Maybe I'm missing something - what's the purpose of user-selectable lens profiles? Is it to avoid putting the code on your existing lenses?"

Some lenses cannot be coded (that includes all non-Leica lenses). In addition coding costs $150. per lens and takes at least 3 weeks.

Before the IR problem became known 6-bit coding was an added feature that you could purchase if you desired, not a requirement. Now that we know the effect of cyan shift on wide angle lenses it has become a requirement to overcome a shortcoming of the camera. That being the case I think it's only right that Leica restore the situation to 6-bit being a convenient option to those that want it and can afford it.

OK, I can understand the desire to avoid coding the lens. For non-Leica lenses and the older lenses that can't be coded, you have to <I>have</I> a lens profile before you can select it. I doubt Leica will provide the profiles for older unsupported lenses, or for Zeiss or C/V lenses. Might be better to ask DXO to create the profile and apply the profile at the RAW conversion stage. You sure won't get Leica to provide lens profiles for other-manufacturer lenses. I'll bet DXO charges something for their software though.

lens coding is and analog solution to a digital problem. a symptom of old school brains

trying to grasp an elusive digital reality. Menu lens selection, yehh a difficult solution for

those who couldn't even see the infra red in the spectum.

Doug -- I don't think people are expecting Leica to offer profiles for the non-Leica or older

Leica lenses. The reason it is still important, however, is that Leica's profiles closely match

what you would need for the non-Leica lens. For example, the vignetting and cyan fringing of

the 21mm Elmarit ASPH is very similar to the vignetting and cyan fringing of the 21mm

Biogon. So if you tell the camera that your biogon is an elmarit, then you will have corrections

that are very good. If you don't, then you will have dramatic cyan fringing and some

vignetting.

Stuart, I agree that Leica ought to allow manual lens profile selection, even if the profiles were only a good fit with current Leica lenses. I suspect the suitability of the 21mm ASPH's profile for the 21mm Biogon is a fortunate coincidence. Didn't DxO or maybe someone else offer a DIY lens profile creation kit? I'd think something like that would be more generally applicable than coincidental near-matches to existing profiles.

"Didn't DxO or maybe someone else offer a DIY lens profile creation kit? I'd think something like that would be more generally applicable than coincidental near-matches to existing profiles."

DXO needs the aperture information, which is not supplied by the M8. The existing profiles can serve as "generic" profiles for non-supported lenses. You pick the one that gives the best result. If it takes care of 80 or 90% of the cyan-shift you'll be OK. The rest would be correctable in photoshop if you wanted further correction. But for wide angles, especially ultra-wides without any in camera corrections the cyan shift can be so severe as to make the files useless.

"Not to be argumentative, but wouldn't this also be true of Leica's profiles?"

I don't know. The M8 does have an idea what aperture you are using but does not put that info in the EXIF. Vignetting changes with aperture but I have no idea how Leica dealt with this.

The M8 can only take whatever information is in the bar code for each lens. There is no aperture information in there, so none can be passed on to the camera. It executes aperture priority by simply reading the light meter and adjusting the shutter speed electronically. Inexcusable to use physical coding when the user can simply select a lens from a menu on the screen. Does this suggest I should get the Zeiss 25mm lens rather than its 21mm lens?

"<I>Inexcusable to use physical coding when the user can simply select a lens from a menu

on the screen.</I>"

<P>

I disagree. When you consider the number of possible lens profiles to choose from it's much

quicker and simpler to rely on the bar codes.

"Inexcusable to use physical coding when the user can simply select a lens from a menu on the screen."

"I disagree. When you consider the number of possible lens profiles to choose from it's much quicker and simpler to rely on the bar codes."

The much easier and more reliable option of automatically reading the 6-bit code would remain for those who have lenses that are coded. We are talking about one additional menu choice for the many who have one or more lenses that can't be coded or that they choose not to code:

1. Lens detection on

2. Lens detection off

3. Manual -select lens profile from a sub-menu