Nikon 70-300 ED or 55-200 VR ??

roberto calvino

Roberto I'm not an expert but I'll give you my opinion. I'm semi qualified since I own both the 70-300mm and the 55-200mm VR.

I think the 55-200mm VR would be your wise choice. It's not quite as long as the 70-300mm but the VR feature really works and will give you a lot of hand-held possibilities that the 70-300mm won't. The 70-300mm will definitely require a tripod or monopod at its long focal length when used with the DX sensor.

If you choose to go with the 70-300mm though I have one for sale at a real brother-in-law price.

The 55-200, non-vr or vr, is the best value lens for the money you can buy of any Nikon product. Mine (non-vr) gives exceptional color, contrast and clarity. I have done side-by-side shots with it and my 70-200 2.8 and the pictures are virtually identical, which is pretty amazing when you consider the 70-200 costs 8x more. Ok, here is the disclaimer - the 70-200 focusses much, much faster and has a much faster aperture (and also weighs about the same as a brick). Each has their intended purpose but for those on a budget that want fantasic results that look like they came from a more expensive lens, the 55-200 is the way to go.

I had a 70-300 and, like many people, find it only good to very good at best, especially between 200mm and 300mm, and promptly sold it. I have yet to meet someone who has and uses the 55-200 with any complaints other than focus speed (which really isn't all that bad, just not as fast as some of Nikon's better lenses).