Tripods and permits

mpalmquist

It seems that there are quite a few posts here and elsewhere with people saying

that tripods require permits in various cities (NY, Washington DC, LA etc..)

In 20 years of photographing with a tripod in various cities around the US and

europe I have never once been asked about a permit. I understand that at

airports, train stations, museums etc... permits/permission may be required by

the management. But my understanding has always been that on public spaces a

sidewalk, a park, the beach and you are not blocking traffic, either vehicular

or pedestrian, no permit was needed.

If a photog is setting up a shoot with scrims, reflectors, a bunch of light

stands 3-4 assistants and an assortment of gear I can see a permit requirement

*maybe*. But just some photog and a tripod? maybe if he is setup on Penn ave.

with a canon 1200 5.6 aimed at the white house but even then a simple

chat/inspection by the police/secret service to make sure all is well should be

all that is required.

If it is true that permits are being required in cities how long might it be

until tripods require permits in national parks, state parks, all public

venues? Not that I think that would happen but the slope looks like it is

getting slippery if these stories are true.

-Mark

<p>I live near DC and shoot their all the time, most of the time using a tripod because I love panoramas and night photography. While I've been questioned by security/police/secret service a few times and asked to move once or twice, I've never been asked about a permit. I follow the generic rule of not blocking foot or vehicle trafic. The only real issue I've ever had was an attempt to photograph buildings at Georgetown University, which is private property.</p>

<p>Here's are some links I found about permits in DC:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nps.gov/archive/fiis/permits/film/film.html" target="_blank">http://www.nps.gov/archive/fiis/permits/film/film.html</a>- The NPS runs the enitre National Mall area and monument areas in DC.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/08/AR2006060800182.html" target="_blank">http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/08/AR2006060800182.html</a>- A Washington Post article about possible fees (permits) for wedding photography on the Mall.</p>

<p>Justin</p>

You don't need a permit for DC in general, but you'll need one on monument grounds, Capitol Hill etc. I have been approached numerous times by security personnel to tell me to put away my tripod. One time, I was shooting at the Lincoln memorial, the guard was in the guard booth, I had to hide behind one of the monument columns to take my shot. Once I finished, a second guard saw me and told me to put the tripod away (in a nice way). That was at 7am in the morning during the sun rise, with hardly any tourist around. I think the permit application is the same one that you use to apply for big gatherings.

That said, I was at the Tidal Basin/Jefferson Memorial yesterday. There were so many people using tripods that the Park security folks didn't even bother to do anything.<div>00Kd6t-35865384.jpg.6d0548745f75689bd5b21cdc119e759a.jpg</div>

Was talking to some folks at the rental counter at Penn Camera on E Street. They said you can have a photo shoot described earlier, folks holding reflectors, lights, etc., and as long as nothing touching the ground (stands, tripods, etc.) you are usually ok. The second something touches the ground . . . you get attention.

For Mall photography, I've stopped in a parking spot, put up a small (12")tripod on my car, taken a few shots, and been off . . . done this around the basin, mall (between washington monumnet and capitol as well as sunrise at the Jefferson memorial.

Just my 2 cents.

A wide variety of permits have been required for years for doing business on public property (like popular parks). And no group/individual really has any inherent right to prevent other users from getting their own enjoyment out of the public properties so some uses are managed to maximise use and minimize impacts. However, if you believe all of the stories you read on various forums, your head will blow up from the excess gas. You're almost always better to go right to a primary source for any government agency administered area, or contact "city hall" if you plan to do anything disruptive on streets or sidewalks, parks, beaches, etc. The capitol building/grounds require tripod permits, details from the Capitol Architect's site. The NPS runs most of the mall and monuments. Their sites are often vague but there seems to be little issue on non-commercial or news gathering activities, including tripods. Outside of stories of problems in Chinatown, I've never had troubles in Los Angeles, although I'll admit to never having tried tripods in ways that blocked sidewalks or disrupted foot or vehicle trafic.

One thing to remember about some cities is that between recreational, educational shooters and commercial shooters, then TV and movies, etc., the "locals" can be swamped and seriously disrupted by repeat shoots in popular areas, or the competition and conflict at some sites is intense. So management may be needed there as well.

I think you should go with your 20 years of experience and limit consumption of internet rumors.

Thanks for the replies. I knew that commercial use permits were required, I guess that 2000 federal law is the root of the issue. I have not been to DC since the mid 90's.

I try to use common sense and not block traffic, be 'low impact' on the area and generally keep out of peoples way so I have never had a problem.

• 1 month later...