30d vs 400d/xti

joshua_grant

There are so many questions about this but non that have an answer .

i need the camera for social events , wildlife/nature and surfing . If they both came with the same

standard lens which is better .

Could you reply with just 30d or xti just the name of the camera .

Your choice of lenses is going to be much more important than your choice of camera body for the subjects you mention. Have you budgetted for a 500mm f/4 L IS and 1.4x TC and a good tripod and Wimberly gimbal mount to cover surfing and nature?

A pro model, as I have owned in film version, resists moisture and salt air corrosion better than either the 400d or or 30d. The 30d probably handles better. The main issue for me was shooting sports and other news events in the rain and I would not do this with either of these bodies. I don't know about you but if I were shooting surfing I would get as close as I possibly could. You would need to protect the camera and lens from moisture intrusion. I settled for a new 400d with the battery grip because without it I found the right hand grip too small for my average sized hand. I don't do sports or news any more and I am getting wonderful large prints from the XTi and L lenses. Some might think the 400d a toy but I replaced a D60 with it and it has unbelievable capability for a 700 dollar body. As I said, I did not like the grip but solved that and you have to awkwardly use two fingers to set the AV button. I budgeted about 2500 bucks for new equipment after quite successfully using the D60(some pictures in my gallery along with some 400d). I use L lenses and bought two new ones, 17-40, 100-400, and the 400 for a couple of hundred more than a single 5d. I believe the real quality comes from good lenses. If I were working professionally today I would spend the money on one of newer EOS I bodies.

Simple... if you're on a budget, get the XTi and some nice lenses.

If your on a bigger budget, get the 30D and some nice lenses.

If your on an even bigger budget, get the 5D and some nice lenses

They both take identical quality images, take the same lenses. It all comes down to whether you want to pay more to get a few extra (although worthwhile) features. All the types of photography you have listed are more dependant on a good lens than a fancier camera body and a 2.5" display

"Now I will elaborate. Like someone said above, exactly the same image quality, but at a huge savings that can buy you a truly decent L lens as long as you don't fall for the IS gimmick."

NO.

<RANT>

These cameras DO NOT have the same image quality. The XTi is the newer camera, with a new 10mp sensor. The 30D is six months older, and uses an OLDER 8MP sensor from a camera released 18 monthes prior.

Some say that higher MP sensors inherently have more noise than lower MP Sensors. While there is merit to the reasons, the premise is unprovable, as NEWER sensors have FAR LESS NOISE than older sensors. I have seen no reputable review site compare the XTi image quality to that of the 30D. In absence of evidence, one must assume image noise and dynamic range are comparable.

It is indisputable that the XTi has more resolution than the 30D.

</rant>

However, the resolution difference between the XTi and 30D is only one factor in a purchase decision.

Image quality -> (advantage: XTi)

Cost -> (advantage: XTi).

<rant>

Pro model? A pro can use a pinhole camera and blow my work away in terms of quality.

Bottom line is that while many professionals use the 30D, this camera is only a little better (in terms of build) than the $250 Elan 7n film camera. The $3000 5D is built just like the 30D.

Many professionals use the 30D because they don't feel justifyied shelling out three times as much for a 1D-II, or six times as much for the 1Ds-II. The 1D-II/IDs-II are the *true* professional cameras. </rant>

Size -> (This is personal preference).

Autofocus capability -> (The cameras are identical)

Build quality / robustness -> (Advantage: 30D)

Frame to frame speed -> (Advantage: 30D).

Real Answer for DAN: ***Bottom line is personal preference***. Both will be FINE for what you are planning to do. Put both in your hand, and the answer will be obvious to YOU.

I will say there is no way to meaningfully answer your question without knowing quite a bit

more about your intentions. (I wrote "XTi" above, for a variety of reasons that I did not

explain - since you did not ask for explanations.)

There is no one correct answer to the question: "Which is better for me?"

All you give us is "social events , wildlife/nature and surfing." Not much to go on - lots of

room for speculation.

About "social events" - Snaps of family gatherings? Professional wedding photography?

Concerts/theatrical events? Indoor or outdoor? Shared as prints or on the web? Etc.

About "wildlife/nature" - Landscapes? Birds, trees, elephants? Prints or electronic

distribution? If prints, how large? Will you sell them?

About "surfing" - I assume, shot from shore? Distant shots? Close shots? Long lenses?

Do you rely on burst mode a lot? Are camera size and weight an issue for you? Are you

wondering if the extra expense of the 30D gains you something worthwhile over the

400D/XTi? Is money no object? Do you already own lenses? Do you regard the camera as

"permanent investment" or as a short-term purchase? Do you own any other cameras?

One camera is not objectively "better" than the other in all cases. The "best" choice is

dependent on a variety of factors. If you don't know about or care about these factors, my

recommendation is to get the least expensive camera body and learn about them.

Take care,

Dan

Thanks i think i might get the 400d by the sounds of it .

I do not no quite what type of photography i want to get in to beceause im only 16 . but

im taking quite good pics on my fugi finepix s5500 so any camera will be a big step up .

I just want to be able to take pictures good enough that i can enter local compititions.

Also make some postcards seems i i live in cornwall. The camera will not be perment just

to get the hang of shooting manual.I think i might wait and get the 40d if there is one.

Thanks for the help

Joshua:

At age 16, and with an active interest in learning more about photography, I would get the

least expensive decent camera and basic lens (or lenses) and get started. There are plenty

of benefits from shooting a lot on a decent camera now and learning, learning, learning.

These vastly outweigh any advantages in waiting for some "super camera" at this point.

Have you thought about a 350D/XT? The cost is low and the images will be essentially

indistinguishable from the 20D/30D/400D. If you have a bit of cash left over you could

think through your lens requirements carefully and apply the funds there.

Good luck with your photography!

Dan