SB's for "studio"

j_eicher

Forgive me, for I am just getting into digital. Just purchased a D80 and was wondering if I can get by with

an SB800 (on camera) and two SB600's (set 45 degrees to my subjects) for studio shots. Yeah, see, I told

you I was just getting into this. Would umbrellas for the 600's be helpful or are they ok as they are? The

whole purpose of this is to get some reasonably good lighting set-ups until I can afford more equipment.

Thanks.

I'm not sure how much money you would be saving compared to an entry level strobe setup, like alien bees. One of the biggest disadvantage i can think of besides power, is you won't have any modeling lights. You are still going to need stands and umbrellas so once again I'm not sure its really worth the trouble. This sort of setup is usually used by people who need to travel light and don't have the luxury of a studio, like wedding photographers who need extra light in a reception.

Peter makes a good point. I have several SB800s and 600s and use them extensively on

remote shots. Interiors, portraits, artwork, events, etc. They are very portable and effective. I

do use them with umbrellas, on stands, but again, these are most often offsite shoots.

If I had a permanent studio, I would probably opt for aliend bees or such. The cost between

that and several SBs might be comparable.

For studio there is no suitable power supply for SB-800, and SB-600 cannot use any perhaps ?, so the AA batteries would not last for extended use all day long. Also constantly falling into the stand by mode, and auto shut off mode could be annoying. How about use of modelling light ? the modelling strobing mode in SB-800 is rather annoying substitute and depletes the battery, or makes you to wait for the flash to charge.

Also you may need much more power for soft boxes and umbrellas light modifiers, etc. when in studio. If you expect professional studio results better use studio strobes.

I strongly suggest you check out the link above. <br><br>

If you want to be creative with the lighting you want to use the flash in manual mode and you can get by with the set-up described in that website (or something similar to mine below) with A LOT LESS money.<br><br>

from a thread i recently replied to:<br>

------------------------------------------------<br><br>

3x 6' light stands $65 <br>

2x 40" silver umbrella 2x 30" white shoot through $35 <br>

wireless trigger + 3x receiver $75 <br>

3x hot shoe flash bracket with umbrella mount $45<br>

3x Nikon SB 25s $120<br>

more than enough roscoe gels $0.20<br><br>

Total $340.2 --> just a bit more than a nikon SB800, MUCH less than the new Canon flash. all of the items bought from a combination of on line retailers, ebay and craigslist. the above set up and my sb600 gives me A LOT to play around already in my garage :)<br><br>

oh and i'm a fellow starving student too.

Without modeling lights, the Nikon SB-600/800 units are tedious and complicated to use

in multiples within a studio environment. Invest in Paul Buff's lighting equipment, or a

similar product for serious work.

Paul Buff's equipment is powerful, simple to use, reliable, priced right, and comes with

GREAT customer support. I used Norman products for two decades in my studio before

switching. You will not be disappointed:

http://www.white-lightning.com/

I'll chip in one more time on this. The SB28's I use (less then $100 at KEH) are very easy to control. they dial down from full power to 1/64 power in 1/3 stop steps. Lighting ratios are very easy to figure. With digital why bother with modeling lights. Take a picture and then adjust. Take another picture. Eventually you start to learn. If you aren't setting up a professional studio, but rather something in your home, light weight and portable will get used more than big and heavy. I've never used alien bees, or white lightning, so I can't comment on them. I rarely set up my studio strobes (bought on e-bay for reasonable prices) because they take up too much room in the house and I'm dialing them way down anyway because they are too powerful for my home studio. Major hassle setting them up too. My 11 yr. old daughter can easily help set up the strobes. PocketWizards mean no cords. Its all personal preference though. If I'd read that blog first, I'd own a lot less lighting equipment.

I just did a week long photo booth at a law office and had a very simple 2 mono lights w/umbrellas, stands etc. back drop and transmitter/receivers. I just rented them and it cost 300 for the week. The firm is paying for the rentals. If you are going to be constantly using studio lights, then you would want to research very carefully as to what you want to purchase and why. But you can always rent extra lights for a hair light or background etc. This stuff IS expensive. So renting is often a good option.

First let me say I have not used some of the above systems/setups but I assume they all work as described.

I use my d200 with the SB-800 and two SB-600s with excellent results. I do bounce the sb-800 off the camera. I find the system quick and easy to set up. Everything is small and easy to carry. Exposure is very accurate and the power output of the various flashes adjusts at the push of a button. No wires or electric to worry about. Changing batteries, if needed, takes a few seconds.

I have just invested in the SU-800 to get rid of the pre-flash. Something to consider.

A pro friend of mine gave me a setup tip. Rather than have the two SB-600s set up at 45 degree angles in front of the subject, I have one off to the right side aimed at the backdrop and the other off to the left side behind the subject aimed at a 45 degree angle towards the subject. It gives an interesting lighting effect. Sample attached

The other advantage of using Nikon Speedlights is the iTTL feature. Assuming you're not shooting into an umbrella or through a softbox, you can use the -800 as the master and the two -600s as slaves, set your ratios in your D80 and off you go.

Disadvantage obviously is that the flashes are underpowered strobes, really, so if you're doing large groups or long periods of shooting (more than 300 shots, say), the speedlights won't be able to keep up.

But that iTTL feature is convenient, fairly accurate and produces great results.

all great suggestions and ideas.

J. - you might want to check out the starter packages that are offered at B&H or Adorama ... most can be had for around $200-250.

if you go to White Lightning, you'll need to get the portrait package, which runs around $1400.00. the "starter" at $500 is not enough.

you could try Alien Bees (funny how both were mentioned in this thread) - they have a portrait package for $600.

BTW, Alien and White are both owned by Paul C. Buff :)

i've done off-site work with an SB 800 and 600 (commanded by camera), both bounced into umbrellas on stands. this last shoot was for a sports team, consisting of a 30 person group shot and 20 individual portraits (3 exposures each), i never ran out of power, no misfires, and no waiting for recharge.

it really depends on HOW MUCH studio shots you'll be doing at any one time, which you never expanded on. you have to consider that some folks, when they read, "studio shots", they are thinking of 4-6 hours worth of work, day-in-and-day-out - and to others, it might mean only one hour, here and there.

regards, michael