Pali, and sunset at Waimea Canyon.

If I want to shot Na Pali coast from a tour boat, is it better to take a

morning tour or sunset tour?

My time on Kauai is limited so some recommendation of good location is highly

appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

I'd add in a recommendation for the Polihale Beach for sunset.

The Hanalei (sp?) Bay area has a nice set of features if you stand on the Eastern side of the Bay looking West; the Bay makes this a good sunrise or sunset shot, depending on how you frame it.

Lastly, I'd add that afternoon rain showers often produce rainbows, sunbeams, and dramatic cloud lighting, so don't count out good photography earlier in the afternoon.

Enjoy!

"For Na Pali shots from a boat, you definitely want to take the sunset tour."

And possibly some dramamine. It rolls out there, and I was feeling it to say the least.

Hanalei Valley Lookout << very pretty

Keahua Forestry Arboretum << I liked this place a lot, close to Kapaa

Cheers, -Greg-

Thank you guys so much for your replies.

Don, I will look into a sunset tour. It is recommended to take a Na Pali tour from north shore, this seriously limits your option to get a sunset tour.

Les, I will look for some dramatic shots in stormy weather. Hanalei Bay and Polihale Beach are on my list.

Greg, I will take some dramamine.

Quang-Tuan, great galleries.

Kevin-

Na Pali Catamaran leaves from Hanalei, and it's great. They usually go into the sea caves

as part of the tour. I don't thiink they do a sunset cruise, but I'm not positive.

If you're feeling brave, in spite of the recent crashes, take a helicopter tour. I've done it

twice, with Air Kauai, and it's awsome. Ask for a trip with Chuck (the owner) if you go, he

doesn't give you too much chatter like most other pilots will. They go around the whole

island, so do it early in the trip to get yourself a good overview. Air Kauai doesn't take the

doors off the helicopter for photographers, but they have a perfect safety record (as far as

I know).

A nice place for sunset shots is the bar at the Princeville Hotel. You look straight out at

sunset behind Bali Hai over Hanalei Bay. Nice place for a Mai Tai, even if you don't get any

good shots.

The Kalalau Lookout (past Waimea Canyon) is also good at sunset. Fog moves quickly

here, so if it's socked in when you get there, WAIT. Actually, the fog makes for interesting

light even in the middle of the day. I usually leave the north shore mid-morning and make

a day of it, exploring Waimea Canyon or maybe a hike in Kokee.

There's a beautiful little church in Hanalei, right on the main road. Very photogenic,

especially if there are waterefalls on the cliffs behind it. On your left as you head for Ke'e

beach.

Check out Lumihali Gardens, also on the road to Ke'e. $15 for a self-guided tour. Not a

ton of flowers, but still worth the money.

If you're up for the exercise, try the hike from Ke'e beach to Hanakapia'i beach along

Kalalau trail. Lots of up-and-down, but the views are awesome. Don't go after a rain, it

gets REAL slippery in the mud.

Polihale is a great beach for sunbathing, but it's not great for sunset shots because there's

nothing to put in the foreground. You look right out over the ocean at the sunset. The

surf is frequently too big for swimming.

I got a great moonrise shot from Sealodge in Princeville looking over the bay towards

Kilauea lighthouse. Sunrise is excellent here as well, of course. Sealodge is a great value

and has great views over Kilauea Bay and the ocean, depending on the unit. But you

shoudn't have any trouble shooting there even if you don't stay there, it's pretty open.

Bottom line, have a great time! Don't spend your whole vacation looking through a

viewfinder. You'll be back, it's very addictive. I've been there 5 times. I always stay on the

north shore, it beautiful there. You won't believe how beautiful the drive to ke'e beach is.

Have fun.

Dave