Booking a top model

chris_shawn

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone of you has ever booked a top model. I photograph

non-comissioned work only but would love to shoot someone like Kate Moss or

Giselle Buendchen some time.

Does anybody know what their rate would be for a 4 hour shoot and if they are

bookable for non-comissioned work at all?

I know I could simply ask the agency Storm in London, etc. but I'd rather ask

here anonymously here before putting too much shame on me by asking officially.

What does a 4 hour shoot cost? 5.000$? 25.000$? Even more?

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Chris

Top models are special booking models, you can't book them if the job is crap or if you

are not a top photog or if she is going to appear next to unknown model in editorial job.

What you have to do is go to the agency like Storm or Models1 and take for a free test a

girl that have a chance to be a top model next season and now is still available for testing.

You have to have a good eye for it or just talk to the booker. Bookers always try to give

you crappy girls which need testing. Be tough, get a good stylist and hair dresser.

The question isn't simply how much does it cost. The question is whether it's a job that the agency thinks is right for the model. If it's the cover of <i>Vogue</i> magazine, it might cost $250 because the real value to the model is that it keeps her at the forefront of top fashion models. If it's a 4-hr shoot with some photographer who no one has heard of, who doesn't have a portfolio of editorial and/or advertising work published in major magazines, and who doesn't have any connections, it's simply not going to happen.

I'm told top models can pocket $20,000 for a day's work so you'll need pretty deep pockets. Secondly, I doubt they'd sign a release so you would be able to do nothing with the pictures. And as Jimi says, if they get no publicity from it, it's of no use to them career-wise.

You can do it much cheaper. Find a top model from Czech, Poland or Ukraine and ask her

mother agency. Get your team there, pay half of the sum to the model and of course a tip

for a local mother agent. Present yourself as a good photographer, fancy clothes etc. you

know what I mean.

Chriss,

I just want to say that just becuase you book the best model in the world doesn't mean your pictures will look like they do on a magazine. Every time you see Kate Moss in a picture rest assured that behind that picture there's a team of 20+ people just making that image happen. You need to add money for make up, hair, wardrobe, location, multiple assistants, equipment rental. You couldn't imagine the budget behind a single picture some times. It could be $50K without a doubt.

My question is what do you think a top model is going to offer that a local Very Good model couldn't offer you? Find a pretty girl who knows how to express herself infront of the camera and spend your money on the team/equipment/location behind the photo.

just my two cents

<p>You can't in general book a high profile model unless you are a high profile

photographer, or an unknown photographer introduced by and shooting for a high profile

magazine or campaign. One of the first things you will be asked is who you're shooting

for; who you've shot before; and how many covers or advertising campaigns you've had. If

you don't have convincing answers to these questions then you'll be politely asked to look

elsewhere. You may also go down in agency legend as the unknown photographer who

walked in and tried to book Kate Moss :-)</p>

<p>If you have a good portfolio but no reputation then the booker may invite you to

shoot test shots, but in general will only do this if they like your work. There is increasing

competition for test shots among entry level fashion photographers, and you need to have

a strong personal vision if you want to stand out from the crowd.</p>

Alain, belive me that not always. Famous photos of Kate Moss taken by Corinne Day and published in many magazines were done without any makeup, hair etc. Lots of Newton's work were done in the same way - just makeup and hair and stylist. Some famous photogs prefer to work this way. Some not - like SM.

Interesting question, like the others have already said you dont get to just walk in and book a model it all depends on the photographer and the project. If they think you can bring something beneficial to the agency and model then you are in, if not then you are going to have make an offer they cant refuse, you already mentioned you dont have a budget of 25k so your work/project really needs to be special.

...and I totally agree with Jimi a good model neither needs hair/makeup to take a really good photo, it does however mean the photographer has to be able to really connect with the model and capture someting amazing take roversi for example.

There are many professional fulltime models of incredible skill, who just don't make it into that last 0.1% which gets them onto vogue and so on.

You'll find them on sites like netmodel. They'll be expensive compared to your average model who does it as a part time thing, but I think you'll get the results you are after.