Used Nikon 80-200 f2.8 Darn!

bill_keane2

So I was all excited about my purchase of a used 80-200 f2.8 from Adorama,

until I opened it up. Listed as V for Very Good condition, I feel a grinding

noise while focussing (not to mention a half snapped off metal label exposing

the interior) is worthy of a lower rating...BGN Bargain or BKN Broken... :-(

I can just send it back for a full refund/credit, but still...

Just for info, my previous used purchase from Adorama was excellent.

I have bought used from Adorama before, and was completely satisfied, but those were eBay purchases and I could see actual photos of the items for sale so I knew exactly what I was getting.

Unfortunately, yours is not the first "less than satisfactory" experience I have read with respect to purchases of used equipment from Adorama. It would appear that their stated condition ratings are often rather optimistic, particularly on the lower end of the scale. I don't think I would buy anything used from them sight unseen unless it was E/EX+ and above. A lot of what I have seen offered by Adorama on eBay and described as "VG" was anything but IMHO.

You shouldn't feel anything when focusing this lens. That's a sign of possible future significant problems. Definitely send it back.

Return it. I bought a used lense that was listed in their "shows extra heavy use, glass may

have scratches" category, and decided that it was too heavily used for my purposes.

No problem returning it - I called them, got right through to someone, and had my return

ticket issued immediately. The refund showed up on my credit card quickly too.

I was worried that I'd get an argument, but my fears were groundless.

Adorama has excellent customer service! I just happened to be on the lucky end. They paid for the repairs to a 200/2 that I had done in Canada. When they could not ship me my 400/2.8 because they found a problem with the aperture, they replaced it several weeks later with one in better condition than the one I bid on, at no extra cost!

I have bought from KEH too but the two lenses above were much cheaper than their prices. Good luck.

I just bought a 80-200mm f2.8 from Adorama with less than ideal results. I ordered the lens with some other item. Shortly after I place my web order, I got a important voice mail from Steve requesting me to call as soon as possible. I called and he sold me a 2 year service contract from Mac. I bought it but declined the circular polarizer. Shades of Broadway Photo.

Later that night, I got the it has shipped e-mail. I checked the status and saw that the lens did not ship and was pending/back ordered. I called customer service the next morning and spoke to Monique M. She said that lens must have been sold to a walk in customer and that was why the lens was back ordered. We canceled the order for the lens.

Then I got an e-mail informing me my Mac warranty had shipped. I e-mailed customer service and asked why they shipped me a warranty for a canceled lens. Joel L. promptly e-mailed me back that the lens was in stock and asked if I still wanted it. I said sure.

The lens arrived Tuesday. It was the wrong lens. Right SKU. Wrong lens. I ordered a Nikon 80-200 2.8 Ed Af W/kirk Mount. This would be one of the newer 80-200mm lenses with two rings. What they shipped was on older single ring, push/pull 80-200 in good condition. No Kirk mount. In fact, it doesn't take a tripod mount, Kirk or otherwise. I overpaid /was overcharged by over $200 for a lens I didn't want.

And now they are closed until April 11 for the Holidays. Grumble. They used to be good. My only hope is that they over committed trying to ship all orders before they shut down for 10 days.

Be forewarned good seller history on ebay is not reliable and is very subject to crowd spamming.I have never been personally burned on ebay and hae beed extremly pleased with the purchases to date.Do som eresearch on whom you are buying from on ebay I have seen positive seller history for sale .Just saying be careful if you or no one else has not heard of this so called "company" that may have bargains on ebay.