B & H or bust? Who to trust?

I know B&H is a trusted dealer, but for the savings of $500+ US dollars, I can

buy more glass!? What to do?

I'm looking at a D200, and would like to purchase a second flash (SB600) and an

additional lens 2.8 28-70 ED-IFAF-S Zoom Nikkor... not to mention the dang MB

battery pack.

I'm not rich, and I could really use a good deal. But I am going to trust you

folks at Photo.net to guide me here... do I go with a "good deal" where I can

haggle a package? Or do I stick with B&H?

Thanks for your two cents!

Laura

"do I go with a "good deal" where I can haggle a package? Or do I stick with B&H?"

If you don't mind not getting what you wanted, try the "good deal" and good luck. If you really can't afford what you want to buy, try B&H secondhand and keh.com. I just got a Canon 20D used from B&H that looks new for a bit over $700.

Laura, B&H doesn't always have the best price for certain items but if you are saying you can find a D200 for $500 less, I would be skeptical. At the very least, it would be a reconditioned unit which would mean the only warranty is what the dealer offers. Nikon will service it but not in warranty.

You didn't mention the dealer but if they have a low rating on resellerratings.com, you want to pass on it. Most likely, it is a bait and switch. There are at least a few of these posted every week here. You can check out the names of some dealers here on PN as well by doing a search.

I know, a good deal is hard to pass up but after reading what others say about the 'good deal', you will want to run.

Thanks guys! Resellerratings.com is now my "go-to" without a doubt! Several of the dealers,fotoconnection - best price cameras - usa photonation - cci camera city - royal camera ,had terrible ratings & reviews straight out of a nightmare! I'm very glad to have been directed their way & now I have narrowed down my search to H1 Photo, Calumet, Adorama & B&H Photo.

Thanks again!

>>for the savings of $500+ US dollars, I can buy more glass!? What to do?<<

You weren't specific at all in your post as to what you are trying to buy. However, I will offer this: ANY dealer offering ANY camera that is $500.00 (USD) less than B&H is a SCAM, guaranteed.

Laura, I have dealt with all the dealers you mentioned except H1 and all are reputable. There are many other good dealers as well but none will sell a D200 for $500 below B&H.

There is not a person here who wouldn't want to buy a D200 for less than the cost of a D80 but most know it just ain't gonna happen. Sorry about the disappointment but much better to find out about it before you pluck down the money.

I find B&H to be one of the most honest dealers out there. They have been in business a long time and most of their customers are very satisfied. When ever I have told customer to go to B&H I get a thank you letter back

Barry

I'm so excited, Thanks guys!

I asked for quotes from H1 Photo, Calumet, Adorama & B&H Photo and I am taking Calumets offer of $1931.91 with shipping & no tax

So to be a bit more specific on my purchase here is the list

D200 Body only * MB-D200 Vertical Grip * (2) EN-ELE3 li-ion battery * SB-600 Flash * Sandisk 2GB Ultra II CF card * 62mm uv filter * 67mm uv filter * 77mm uv filter

I have a SB-800 and love it, just need more light for dark & dingy churches. The filters are a goof. I had my husband buy me filters as a gift, and he choose all polarized which are nice, but not every day nice. The memory cards make me laugh, are they going to be as cheap as film soon? Seriously, the price just keeps dropping! There will be a day when digtal is a thing of the past, and we purchase brain scanners to read and print the image as we "see" it! Yikes

Thanks again for everything guys, you made this a very stress free experience.

Laura

Laura, The best prices is rarely the best value. You should also shop your local stores. They may be more willing to give you a price break when buying a several items. Don't forget that when you buy online you have no body to call for help. You will not receive any customer service because you didn't pay for it.

OK, I paid $477 for the Pentax K100D DSLR with 18-55mm kit

lens from BeachCamera. Should I have paid more to get the

best value? I'm totally confused and a bit weary, guilty and ripped

off for paying such a low price and now wondering what's really

coming by FedEx from these guys.

What do I look out for? There's no one in my rural town that sells

camera's except OfficeMax and Walmart and they don't have the

price and model I want.

I would buy online from only 3 places:

<p>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com">B&H</a><p>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=dslr&tag=cyclingshots-20&index=photo&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325">Amazon</a>

<p><a href="http://www.17photo.com/">17th Street Photo</a>

<p>

I've had great luck with all of these places and wouldn't hesitate to fork over a couple grand for any photo gear from these guys. But that's just me.

Eric's list is a very good combination of best price/dependable sellers. I would also add

Roberts Distributors <www.robertsimaging.com> in Indianapolis. I often visit their store

when I am in Indy, and I have ordered from them (including my D70 a while back) over the

phone and online. Reasonably competitive prices and excellent service every time, whether

face-to-face or remotely.

I once placed an order at B and H and there was some glitch where they ended up over charging my credit card by $2.50. They called to tell me about the error and I told them thanks, just throw a cheap roll of film in with the order and forget about it.

I appreciate their intergrity and have been using them ever since.