Shooting quickly-moving subjets

dchiaradmd

I shoot with a Nikon D200, and I recently went to the dog park to take

pictures of the doggies running around. I took HUNDREDS of pictures over a 3-

hour period, using a Sigma 55-200 lens, and 95% of the photos turned out

blurry.

The problem, as best I can tell is that the dogs just moved around so

constantly and so quickly that by the time the autofocus zeroed in on the dog

and the shutter clicked, the dog was no longer in the same position.

Pictures where the dog was moving perpendicular to me were fine. Dogs moving

toward or away from me were all out-of-focus.

So, here are my questions:

1. I know that the D200 should be capable of taking an in-focus photo of a

running dog. This can't be in impossibility for such a high-end camera. What

are the correct *camera* settings for this situation? There appear to be two

or three camera settings that would relate to this situation. One is the

focus selector next to the lens that has C, S, and M (constant, sequential,

and manual, I think.) Obviously M isn't a consideration here. Then, there's

the focus area selector on the back of the camera next to the menu button.

Whcih one of those would be best? Any other suggestions?

2. Timing and technique obviously matter. Any tips would be greatly

appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

"One is the focus selector next to the lens that has C, S, and M (constant, sequential, and manual, I think.)" I don't have a D200 (D2X) and I assume the D200 uses the same focus designations on the D200. C is not for constant but continuous, and should be used for moving subjects (and is what you should have been using shooting the dogs). S is for single servo and is used mostly for static subjects.

1) Read the manual.

2) Are you shooting Aperture priority? If so, is the shutter speed fast enough? Yo umay be getting motion blur if your shutter speed is slow.

3) Read the manual.

4) In the manual, you will find that the D200 allows you shoot even when not in focus.

5) Read the manual.

In this case it's not shutter speed blur but blur due to depth of field.

What's happening is once you lock focus on something the subject moves so you are focusing on something that is already gone.

The C is continuous, meaning that even if the shot is out of focus the camera will fire the shutter resulting in out of focus pictures. In a high end camera, if the auto focus is fast enough this shouldn't be a problem. but since you have attached a Sigma 55-200 lens, a very low end lens and slow auto focus resulting in more blurry pictures.

You can fix this problem in a couple of ways, one is to increase the aperture number thereby getting a larger depth of field.

Other way is to get a new higher end lens like the 70-200 vr which will let you focus faster.

Third is to use manual focus and focus on where you think the dog will be.

Do you have a manual? KL IX wants you to read it.

It's not a bad idea to do that.

Also, as he said, perhaps your shutter speed is not quite fast enough to capture the action.

That lens is an f/4 to f/5.6. You need to shoot action shots such as this at 1/250 second

or faster.

And, technique does have a lot to do with it. If you can, use a monopod to minimize shake

and movement. Also, pan your shots to get the subject dogs in focus, and assure a more

stable shot. Simply pointing at a spot, and shooting when the dogs cross that plain will not

give you very sharp images.

There are also various shutter options on the D200, including a frame per second rate of

up to 5, variable focus points and areas, etc.

There are plethora of discussions and tutorials on this site and elsewhere that would help

you in this arena:

http://www.photo.net/learn/sports/overview

I might recommend a D200 Magic Lantern book or Thom Hogan's D200 CD for further

tutorial and information on the D200.

Or you could get something like a AF 85mm f1.8D Nikkor (or the AF 105mm f2D DC-Nikkor) ... and give your camera some better glass to work with. The 'all-in-one' lens you have is not exactly what you need for shooting dogs on the go. If you were going to the beach and the subjects were sitting about in bright sun, your lens would be OK.

AF needs to be set to continuous but importantly or as important you have to make sure you are at a fast enough shutter speed. 1/250 as a minumum for moving subjects but at 200mm that may not be fast enough to reduce camera shake. My guess is that you are getting a combination of all the above but without seeing the photos I can't tell you for sure but easy cure switch to C and highest shutter speed you can get those 2 things should reduce the number of blurry shots considerably. It that doesn't cure it, then you may need to look at a faster lens. A monopod is a nice addition as well.

What mode are you shooting in? I prefer manual and I first make sure I am shooting at the fastest aperture I am allowed, then if needed I adjust my ISO up until I can get at least a shutter speed of 320/sec. An easier way would be to use shutter mode and set your shutter speed and let the camera adjust everything else automatically in your camera. If this does not work there is not enough light for the lens you have so you then need to use a lens with a faster aperture. Good luck.

Anybody who has can afford a D200 should buy Thom Hogan's e-book CD. It has extensive info on focus modes. In any event, as was said before, shoot "C (continuous)" and shutter priority at a speed high enough to stop the action. Once you focus on an object(half-press of shutter button or AF-ON) the camera will follow that object's motion. But do get and read Thom Hogan's CD- well worth the 40-odd bucks, as I recall. It's lightyears better than the Nikon-produced manual. Happy shooting! Bob

Thanks to all who have answered. I appreciate all the advice.

Motion blur and camera shake are not my problems. I shot in broad daylight on a cloudless day between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm in Tucson, Arizona. I had PLENTY of light and my shutter speeds were very fast.

My problem was getting the camera to focus on the dog and snap the picture before the dog had moved out of focus.

I'm going to study the suggestions you've given me and see if I can figure it out. I have an 85mm f/1.8. I'll try that lens combined with the suggestions regarding focus settings and techniques. I may even, grudgingly, break out the manual if I can find it. (Just kidding. I've read the manual, and although I have decent reading comprehension, it is often brief and cryptic.)

Thanks again.

Dan

On a sunny day in Tucson, you should have fast enough shutter speeds - agreed.

It sounds like technique is what you need to practice. Are you holding your camera correctly (both arms against the body, one hand on the body and the other on the lens)? When you're following the dogs, are you doing so smoothly and in a manner that the camera's tracking focus can follow? Are you using a monopod, tripod, or beanbag to smooth your motions and steady the camera/lens?

Everyone else has answered the technical aspects: set the camera to ©ontinuous focus, and shutter mode to Cs-L or Cs-H (Continuous shot, Low or High speed); set the focus mode to Dynamic Group so that the dog doesn't escape your focus tracking (set to Dynamic Single if you feel talented...).

In addition to websites and manuals, you might consider taking a class, especially if you learn better with hands-on instruction or lecture than by reading. (Know your learning habits - best piece of advice in this whole post...)

You answered your own question - don't take pictures of subjects moving directly towards or away from you. Even with the fastest focussing lenses, this tends to be a bit of a issue with most cameras.

Also make sure your focus 'lock on' feature (A5) is OFF. Chances are you have it on.

At 1/250 you should be able to get more than 5% of your photos in focus, but 1/500 or

above would deliver better resuts.

In Single Servo mode the camera will focus on one spot, lock the focus, and take a picture

of where the dog was before the shutter tripped. Continuous focus will track continuously

up to and after the shot as long as you hold down the button half way or fully.

If you're in Continuous Focus, shooting at 1/250, and can't keep the dogs in focus,

increase shutter speed, and if necessary, raise ISO to get higher shutter speeds. Your

camera will still have clean images at ISO 400 to 800. I doubt you'll need ISO 800 outside

in the middle of the day in broad daylight. Unless your dogs are able to run at 1000 m.p.h.

or so.

If this doesn't work, your lens' quick focussing ability is not sufficient.

I broke out the camera, manual, and the 85mm f/1.8 last night and employed all the suggestions that were given up to my last post.

I got MUCH better results. Thank you all for your help.

I think the suggestions given since my last post are excellent, too. I'll work on them today at lunch time.

I expect to improve by leaps and bounds by the next time I have a "formal" shoot.

Thanks again.

Dan

Sam Song wrote:

<br>

<br>> The C is continuous, meaning that even if the shot is out of

<br>> focus the camera will fire the shutter resulting in out of focus

<br>> pictures.

<br>

<br>Sam, in the D200, I think this depends on how you configure the camera. I'm pretty sure you can set RELEASE PRIORITY or FOCUS PRIORITY for AF-C mode, and AF-S mode independently. In other words, you can be shooting in AF-C mode AND have set the camera so that the shutter fires only if it confirms focus.

<br>

<br>larsbc

<br>

PROBLEM COMPLETELY SOLVED! I was able to capture crisp, sharp images of dugs running full speed directly toward me. No problem at all.

This was my setup:

AF = C, Dynamic Focus, 85mm f/1.8, Aperture Priority, aperture = 4-6 range, shutter speeds anywhere from 1/400-1/1000.

Thanks for all the help.

Dan