Boston recommendations

andy_k7

Hi,

I am a Intro to Photography student, going to Boston from Philadelphia for 1.5

days this weekend.

I am using a 35mm SLR and B+W film, usually 400 Tri-X.

Can anyone suggest some good places to take photographs in Boston this weekend?

I would like to take some landscapes and cityscapes, as well as any other

interesting sights that you may recommend.

Will there by any public festivities due to the Easter weekend?

Thanks a lot,

Andy

There are always a lot of interesting folks hanging about in Harvard Square. And Harvard Yard is always a nice place to sit and relax (my kids love to play hide 'n seek there). Back Bay is senic. The Financial District is pretty deserted on weekends. The Zachem bridge is unique, and you can always walk along the Charles River from there towards Beacon Hill and Back Bay. Probably best to stay out of Dorchester because of crime.

Boston is a small city and you can cover a lot of ground walking. Or ride the "T" - but be aware that you need a permit to take photos in subway statiions and on trains. So be discreet if you don't have a permit.

Boston is a great place for photography - and for seafood. One thing to be aware of is that the Northeast got a little snow this morning, and the weather over the weekend is predicted to be cold and damp.

Quincy Market is a great place for people watching. It's a bit sedate this time of year, but even so its worth a visit. Fanueil Hall is nearby and a must-see. You can also walk from there into the North End (fabulous Italian restaurants) and to the Old North Church.

If you walk from Quincy Market through the financial district, you will pass the State House (the State Capital building), and eventually get to the Public Garden. Again, it won't be too busy because of the weather, but still nice to walk through.

Agree with Robert's suggestion about Harvard Square. Harvard Yard is less appealing to me. MIT is further down Massachusetts Avenue (in the direction of Boston) and is an interesting place to visit.

One of the best landscape opportunities is Mt. Auburn Cemetary.

The advice about requiring a permit to take photos on the subway is incorrect - MBTA policy on non-commercial photograph was not clear, and a clarification was recently issued to try to resolve the confusion:

"Non-Commercial Photography

Persons taking pictures on MBTA property must provide proper identification upon request of an MBTA Transit Police Officer or other MBTA employee. The MBTA Transit Police Officer or other MBTA employee may allow the person to take pictures at the specific location under the following conditions:

? the person provides positive identification;

? the circumstances indicate that the subject of the picture does not pose a security or safety threat or in any way cause disruption of service and/or operations of the MBTA; and

? the picture(s) is/are for personal or educational use only. (e.g., tourist railroad buff, student, etc.)

* Photo identification that includes at a minimum name, date of birth, and address."

My wife and I went to Boston last May and many suggested walking the Freedom Trail and it was a good suggestion. I would also suggest going to see the USS Constitution. It was also suggested that we try Legal Seafood and the food was very good. Have fun and go back when you have a little more time.

Wayne

Near Quincy Market is the Old Union Oyster House and the Bell in Hand Tavern. The little streets (alleys) in back are interesting. Also dividing the Boston Common and Public Garden is Charles Street and if you follow it north along the foot of Beacon Hill there are also a lot of interesting streets on either side. If you have time walk along the Charles River. Good views of Boston from the Cambridge side. Dress warmly.

A few additional suggestions:

Science Center (http://www.mos.org/) - if the weather is unfriendly, you can always take the T to this fabulous museum for the afternoon. They have Van de Graaf's original electrostatic generator and put on the most dramatic arcs and sparks show anywhere.

Children's Museum - Haven't been here for years, but it was always a fun place to go when our kids were small. And part of the reason is that they have a gift shop that sells surplus goodies from various high-tech businesses around Boston - notebooks, CD cases, and stuff that you just wouldn't imagine until you actually found it there.

New England Aquarium - on the waterfront about a five minute walk from Quincy Market.

For seafood and atmosphere, there is no place better than "No Name". This is an eatery on one of the fishing piers that doesn't really have a name, and is famous as the place where fishermen hang out. Relatively inexpensive, enormous portions, and just plain good.

Legal Seafood and Old Union Oyster House are both fabulous "fine food" establishments.

And if you want a quirky Boston academic setting for something to eat, try Berkley's in Harvard Square. Best hamburgers on the planet.

"...try Berkley's in Harvard Square. Best hamburgers on the planet."

OT, but Blimpy's in Ann Arbor, MI has THE best burgers, hands down. If anyone here has been there will know, they are the burger Nazis. I can't duplicate them at home. Yes, I've been to Berkley's when I worked in Cambridge on Broadway.