Manfrotto 3001 BN/ 484 ballhead combo?

derek_thornton

Will this work well for a D200 with 12-24mm and 18-200mm with closeup lens. I

have all ready purchased the 3001BN and am awaiting the 484. I checked the

weight limit of the 484 and it is well withen the limits. Now, after reading

comments made here I am wondering if I made a mistake? Regardless, I wont spend

more than a hundred bucks on a ballhead. So, if anyone here has had personal

experiances with the 484 please let me know if it will do the job with my

equipment. It is only 50 bucks from wolf camera and they do not have the 486.

they do carry the 488 but want $110 for it. Bad thing is B&H is closed for the

week!

I am sure that you will all agree that the 3001BN/484 is a big step up from the

$39.00 Sunpack that I was using, right?

Thanks for any input.

I have all three and would advise bite the bullet and go for the 488, smoother and with separate pan control (I know you said not over $100, but hey, this is photo.net, someone will say go for some huge $400 jobby)

Alternatively, wait to get the 486, nothing wrong with the 484 but I like a little overkill, my 484 is now on the monopod

Yes, the 3001/484 is far superior to any $39 model

I would run with the 3001/484 setup unless you test the 484 and it fails. I thought my 486 might be too weak for my Mamiya 645 setup even though it was within the specified weight limits, but this 486 ballhead holds very well, even for long exposures. With the 18-200 titled 90 degrees for vertical photos you might find some slip, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it holds rock steady. As for the tripod, hang a rock bag from the center column if you need a steadier platform. I've been very pleased with all my Bogen/Manfrotto gear.

I have the 725B which has what looks to be a "fixed" 484 size ball head. My main problem with it is size. It's small. Hard to get fingers in and around it to fiddle with. It holds a 7D and 28-70/2.8 G lens OK. Or a D200 and 18-70 kit lens. The D200 with the 70-300 VR sags some. That may be a combination of the lens size/weight and tripod legs as well as head - as it's a sag, not a slip.

My recommendation is also to go with the 488. There will be times when the camera is in the vertical position and you need to pan to the left or right. Without the panning feature, you will have to move (rotate) the whole tripod. This is a huge inconvenience, especially when you are on a slope. You will have to re-adjust the height of the legs. The panning feature on the 488 will allow you to rotate the head and there is no need to adjust the legs.