Stability of dye printers on archival paper

I know that archival qualities are a paper and ink combination and that pigments

are longer lasting than dyes, but does anyone know how archival (if at all) is a

print made with an Epson dye printer on archival paper such as Hahnemuhle photo

rag that is then stored in an album? I stress that I am not talking about

prints hanging on the wall.

I haven't been able to find much archival information regarding this combination.

Steve

When Epson made Colorlife paper (no longer available in my area), Wilhelm gave it 27 years behind glass. Ilford Classic Pearl appears to be the same paper. My guess is that it too will give you 27 years. However, Wilhelm has not tested it to date - and probably won't - until Ilford coughs up some serious bucks. Dark storage will be even longer. In any event, the prints will certainly last longer than anything available 25 years ago - such as Cibachrome - and certainly much longer than "drug store" prints. Semigloss Scrapbook Photo Paper is also rated at 27 years. However, the newer Epson dye printers have upped the life to 36 years using these two papers, and 23 years using their 3 Premium papers. See the Epson site for further info.

I suspect the archival life on Hahnemuhle with newer Epson printer and ink will approach these same figures. But NOBODY knows for sure at this time. Now if we just knew what model Epson you are talking about we could give you a real answer. :^)

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, Steve, I currently have an R220 but am going to replace it but am not sure with what just yet. The output of my printer is good but I am not sure about longevity. I want to make a book of several trips I've done and give to a friend and if she lives a normal life span these photos will need to survive at least another 50 years. As I said, these photos will be kept in a book form so will not be exposed to light (except when viewed) but I think the only way to be sure is to print them with pigments inks.

Steve