SB-4 not working with Viv285HV

mark_ryan2

I bought two SB-4s for my 283 and 285HV flashes. I got the 283 to work, but I

can't get the SB-4s to power the 285HV. I even tried the SB-4 that works with

the 283, and powered the 285HV with NiMH batteries to make sure it worked.

Any thoughts why it wouldn't be working?

I noticed the on/off switch won't shift when the SB-4 is attached to the 283,

but it slides back and forth on the 285HV.

The SB-4 comes with out a manual, and I've had the 283 for 20 years. Bought

the 285HV from Central Camera about a year ago. Maybe time for a new 285HV and

use the not powered one for catch lights or washing out backgrounds.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm not sure about the 283 but the 285 still must have batteries in it when using the SB-4 because some of the electronics use battery source only. It's not clear from your post if you already knew that or not. If so, never mind...

I didn't know that! When I was researching the problem someone had mentioned having the batteries in at the same time, but that seemed odd.

I actually tried it, but I thought the power was coming from the batteries then, not the SB-4.

How long do the batteries last then, almost forever?

Thanks Rick!

Mark

Ah, I found the 285HV manual online. It says the flash has to be in the off position with batteries in it to use the SB-4. The batteries must be in for some syncronization thingy.

You must have batteries to use the AC adaptor. Really odd.

I am wondering the same thing with the 285/SB-4 that I got today.

I don't think it is actually working properly, sounds like your 283 has an interlock and switches over to the SB-4 when you plug it in. Per the directions it would appear that the switch should be in the 'off'position to run from the SB-4 (regardless of there being batteries in it). If the switch is off there's no activity at all.

Hmmmmmmm, perhaps something needs to go back here.

Well if I set my flash to off, it's off. All my manual says about the subject is:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: When using the HVP-1, PPG-1 or SB-4 power sources, four fresh AA alkalines or one properly charged NC-3 battery pack must be in the flash unit to operate the synchronization circuit."

So, put in batteries, plug in SB-4, turn it on and shoot. To know if your SB-4 is doing it's job use the flash on batteries until the recycle time becomes annoying, then plug in the SB-4. You'll notice the recycle time drops to very brief.

Thats just it -- there is no cycle time difference between SB-4 plugged in and not plugged in. Additionally, the instructions indicate the switch should be in the off position (the implication being if the SB-4 is plugged in that it will always supply power).

Not the case with mine. I see no improvement in cycle time, and no indication that the SB-4 is doing anything. It does supply ~200+ volts though.

I tried contacting Vivitar via email, no response yet.