Building a weird lens

trent westin

Hello,

I already posted this question elsewhere, but I need help and I am under pressure...

I speak a bad english, hope this does not bother you.

I am trying to bulid a lens with a prism gadget lens I bought at Moma Store in NYC. It is a sort of multiple

diffraction lens, like a kaleidoscope. You see a bite of reality multiplied in several squares. The shape of

the lens is flat towards your eye and opposite is square patterned.

Well you need to put this lens very close to your eye (something about from 0.5 cm to 3 cm) to get the

effect. Well I would like to use this lens with a large format camera, so I need to build a lens with it.

The first think I did is to put my gadget just in front of a 150mm lens. Then in front of several lenses. And

in every case the image was soft and out of focus. So I started to unscrew my lenses using the rear or the

front elements together with my gadget. It did not worked either.

Is it possible to build a lens with this lens or it is just impossible?

Could you give me some suggestions?

Thank you very much,

Trent

:-) well, uhmnn, :-) I think and now I'm just giving you one idea here. The prime action would be from your side is to eshtabilish if you can get any kind of sharpness on your ground glass at all. Like you can mounth the front element on a hard cardboard and try. Than of course it probobly will not cover your size but who knows it might. You can get lucky sometimes. :-)If you do get sharpness and the lens will not cover than the next step would be to find a rear element to it. The worst scenario is that you wind up bildig camera to the lens. :-) Så let's see what others come up with! :-)

Spiratone made something like this for the 35mm format called multi-image filters. I have a multi-image 5C version. Looking through it directly with eyes, one can see the effect at any distant. Yours is limited to a few CM indicated that the lens is not flat. If that is the case, you properly will end up with a very limited focus range or not at all. Also note: The Spiratone version work well only for shorter focal length 35mm format lens.