making prints from a Canon 30D

hello. entirely new to all this. sorry, this probably a stupid question.

i would like to print some of my pics on a large format. for example, lets say 20 by 30. i have a 30d and

its set to take large jpegs. when i down load the images, the resolution always sits a 72 dp. the only way i

know to raise the resolution is to print the image out, a small version 3x5, and then rescan that images

under a high resolution so they print nice in a larger format.

i must be missing something basic. can i make adjustments in photoshop or with the camera to make life

easier.

simple question, how do i get the dpi or ppi high enough to print large scale images.

i hope this makes sense.

nic.

I'm going to move this question to digital darkroom. The 30D is not a large format camera. You don't have to touch anything in the camera. It takes the pictures that it takes. The idea of "dpi" is meaningless with a digital original photo. The camera gives you 3504x2336 pixels.

If you're not a digital darkroom expert, the best thing that you can do is send your JPEG or RAW file to an online printing service and they will send you a print in the mail. They will use all of the information in the camera file.

You'll want PhotoShop, or another image manipulating software. You need to Resize the image under Image...Size...Resize. There's a checkbox to resize using bicubic method. What I do: first time in the Image...Size dialog box, DON'T check the box at the bottom for Bicubic, but just choose the Image Size you want to print at (for example - 20 X 30 inches). Click "OK". Revisit the same dialog box (Image...Size) and you'll see that not only the Image Size changed, but so did the dpi. Perhaps now it will be 100 or 150, instead of 72. Most people like to print between 240 and 360 minimum dpi. So, if your dpi is less than that, now is the time to check the box for Bicubic and increase the dpi. Try changing it to gradually larger values, say 10% increase each time, until you're somewhere between 240 and 360 dpi. At this point your image may need a round of sharpening. Then print away. 20 X 30 inches may be pushing it, depending on your camera/sensor.

Save your original before making any of these changes; upsampling or downsampling (bicubic, etc.) permanently changes your image data by adding or removing pixels and guessing (interpolating) the result. As Chris mentioned, save your sharpening until you have the right image size.

Incidentally, Photoshop is very powerful but perhaps not the most intuitive for the newbie. Many other packages (particularly those more consumer-oriented) will allow you to say "print this image, and fill the page"--taking care of scaling, etc. as necessary. Photoshop may allow coaxing out somewhat better results but at substantial cost in time, effort and knowledge required.

andrew and chris thank you i appreciate the answer and time on your parts. i have photoshop

cs so i will try. i just get nervous about printing large formats bc i have zero idea. i'm okay

with small things and basic photoshop but the large format makes me nervous i tried your

suggestions w/o the bicubic the dpi actually went from 72 to 40. odd. then i gradually went

up. but not sure if i feel confident in the print. i will keep researching. maybe more i read i

can figure this out. it should not cause this headache i am giving myself :-) thanks again.