Tripod options when using a 200mm F2.8 Mushroom

wayne_crider4

What is a 200mm F2.8 Mushroom? Are you looking to shoot close-ups of mushrooms with your 200mm f/2.8 Canon lens? You could probably rig up some kind of Kirk-like adapter. The first question is which 200/2.8 you have. Is it a 200/2.8 FD SSC with a breech lock mount, a 200/2.8 New FD (1st version) or a 200/2.8 New FD (2nd version, internal focusing)? The best solution to your problem would be to get a 200/4 Canon macro lens. It has a tripod mount. Another answer would be to get a Canon FL or FD bellows with the integral focusing rail. The camera would be attached to the back and the lens would be attached to the front. I have had some luck using the older Canon 200/4 FD SSC on a bellows. It's smaller and lighter than any of the 200/2.8 lenses. A beanbag could work but a 200/2.8 would not be my first choice for macro work. The Vivitar 200/3 Series 1 lens is nice for close-up work because it focuses down to 4 feet by itself. I also have a 90-180mm f/4.5 Vivitar Series 1 Flat Field Macro lens (in Konica AR mount) which gives nice working distance at 180 (1:2).

You may be able to pick up a second hand tripod collar like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLYMPUS-OM-TRIPOD-COLLAR-NEW_W0QQitemZ220099253505QQcategoryZ29971QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

but cheaper, I often see Tamron ones on ebay but I'm not sure of the diameter. Getting one the right size may be an issue although if it was too wide that would be less of a problem, just an idea anyhow.

There is no place on the 200mm f2.8IF nFD for a collar to wrap around the lens. I have a Collar from my 400mm f4.5 nFD that with a thin layer of leather will fit perfectly on an extender or extension tube. BUT there is NO place to put it on the lens itself.

For the 200mm f2.8IF nFD the best you could do would be to make a narrow support that went out under the lens and had a little saddle for the front of the lens to sit in.

Something just don't fit our imaginations.

Now I'll have to think up a nickname for my 200. I have a 200/2.8 New FD First Version. How about the 200mm F2.8 Daikon? With my Nikon equipment I would use a PN-11 extension tube because it has a tripod socket on the bottom. If you aren't thinking of using the 200/2.8 for macro or close-up work then the beanbag idea might not be too bad. If you want to use it for macro work you could take an extension tube (maybe the FD 25) and have someone weld a tripod socket to the bottom. Ken Ruth at Photograohy On Bald Mountain should be able to do this for you.

KEH had just the thing a while back. A metal bar with a tripod screw sliding in a slot at one end and a Y-shaped support with an adjustable strap between the arms of the Y at the other end. A tripod bush was around the middle of the plate. The idea was that you supported the end of the lens on the strap between the arms of the Y.

I'm pretty sure that Mark (Wahlster) will remember this being discussed last year on the Yahoo Group. I'm also pretty sure that Mark could make one!

Mike.

Yes I am talking about the F2.8 IF. I think I have come up with a solution. The er..Nikon (sorry) 80-200mm Push/Pull has a lens bracket that can be used. All that is needed is to adjust the ring at the end by inserting some material such as leather around the lens shade or at the lens barrel for support. At the other end the body is screwed to the rail. The only problem with this arrangement is that the entire bracket has to be flipped for verticals so a stronger head is needed for support. In my case I have a 2x tele-converter I want to use and the setup does not allow for quick changes as the camera body is not flying off the end as would a camera using a telephoto with a tripod collar. In order to overcome this I am going to turn the Nikon rail over, screw it to the head via one of three screw holes provided in the rail and use a double RRS clamp arrangement for camera quick release on the dovetail now located on top. Originally the dovetail of the said bracket would be on the bottom and inserted into an RRS clamp on the head. Then I am going to get a small peice of plastic pipe slightly larger then the diameter of the barrel and saw it in half forming a U shape and affix it to the end of the rail. I'll either slot the pipe for an adjustable strap or just use a strap around it for quick changes. This is just a use what you have on hand type of arrangement. If anyone else wanted to make their own you can buy separate materials and do the same. RRS rails come in different lengths. With this arrangement the focusing collar is free to rotate where it would not be on a beanbag.