Business card critique

jayme wier

Upon first glance, I think they are too plain. If you are going to pay for color business

cards (whether its your ink or store prices) make it worth it.

It also strikes me that the girl should look like she is having fun. She looks sad, and

scared. And the sports shot is rather plain too. Its a guy running. If you don't have any

shots better than that, perhaps you should do what I did, and still do, which is go to

highschool games for practice. Many times parents end up approaching you to buy prints

of there kids, also.

And what about the content? I know it is hard to believe, but 70 year old Aunt Wilma who

wants a family portrait doesn't have a new Mac sitting in the den.

I use high gloss laminate looking cards with a photo, it looks awesome. I can't imaging a photographer not having a photo on a card, or at least a catchy color graphic design. Just be sure it is of very high quality. Jayme I like the text on the main card, the pic is ok but I think you could do better. I like full bleed color. The sports one has too much depth of field, the text on the grass is a little plain. Keep at it. Oh and your phone number might be a good idea to be on there.

"I can't imaging a photographer not having a photo on a card"

Let me ask you, what do you do when you see a photographers card that has a photo on it?

I think most people, myself included, judge your entire performance style etc.. on that one picture. That's fine if you want to only appeal to that small group that may relate to that picture.

I for one do not think it's a good idea due to that reason alone. IMO the best effect a card can have is one that offers the mysterious appeal, mysterious enough such that the card holder will take it home and type in your web page. If you have a photo on there that doesn't relate to the card holder, then your chances are slim that they will actually execute the card. IMO - keep it simple.

My card is somewhat contemporary, professional, and extremely plain. No pictures and no clutter designs. It's worked great.

I've always been biased towards business cards with a picture occupying the entire card such as the third one with the runner. The only problem I see is that the picture does not really blend with your core business which is weddings and events.

I know one guy who carries a range of business cards from product photography to architectural/interior to corporate headshots and believe it or not, weddings. Depending on the client he meets, he will hand out that specific card if its a bride-to-be.

Bottomline, if you're in the wedding photography business, I would not hand out a card with a picture of some guy running across the field. Chances are, your bride-to-be client may have second thoughts about giving you the business.

FIRST IMPRESSION COUNTS!

1. Do you have a phone number, address, and/or email? Shouldn't these be on a business card?

2. Unusual fonts and pictures can cause problems for the many people that scan business cards. Information can become corrupt or missing.

Re <i>Do you have a phone number, address, and/or email? Shouldn't these be on a business card?</i><BR><BR>Alot of folks dont but this info on their wedding cd'd or wedding prints either. One gets unmarked Cd's and unmarked prints from the uncle bobs here at the print shop to copy; and each customer says they own the image.<BR><BR>A pro studios photo prints of 100 to 120 + years ago had even a map where the studio was located, this was becuase the telephone was not common.<BR><BR>Today leaving clues like city, phone, address is "out of style"; it might bring in more business but doesnt fit the goofy model of making customers curse while hunting where you are.

• 2 weeks later...

The cards are great - as long as you don't want any response.

script fonts are hard to read - if it is hard to read people won't read it. Just try and read your web site address as if you didn't know what it was. Get rid of the script fonts. (Signature as Logo is fine - make it larger and bolder.

Reverse type is hard to read - if it is hard to read people won't read it. Get rid of the reverse.

You have no contact info - if contact is by walking into the studio then put your address on it. if contact is by telephone - then get your telephone number on there - and large enough to read without having to hunt for it.

Everything else address, types of photography, whatever, can go on the reverse.

The bottom line is you don't want pretty - you want effective. While not mutually exclusive, pretty cards are seldom effective.