Install tab focusing ring on newer lenses - is there way to do that?

Hi!

I just wonder if it is possible to take a new generation lens (50mm Summicron

f/2.0 with built-in hood in my case) and "convert" focusing ring to the old

tab-style focusing ring? Or perhaps replace existing focusing ring with tabbed

focusing ring? Is that possible? Or the cost is prohibitive?

Thanks,

Mike.

I went through this dilemma myself not long ago and ended up using double sided tape

and 2 tie wraps (providing a finger width gap feeling much like the Leica tab) which has

served well. I posted my question as you did and here are the responses including one

from Lutz Konnermann himself. I'll let you make up your mind:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Gykq

Depends on how much you care about "appearance" One ugly but viable solution is to use

a circular clamp from the hardware store, the type of clamp you'd use for a hose or a duct.

or rubber tubing. First put one of those fat rubber bands on the lens, the sort that comes

with broccoli or asparagus at the grocery store. That will protect the lens barrel from

scratches, then just put the circular clamp on the lens and tighten. the protrusion where

the screw is serves as the "tab"

The tab on the older Summicron is held in place with two screws inserted from the inside of the focusing ring. It is likely Don or something else can drill the holes and modify the tab to fit. Else it may be simpler to just sell your lens and buy one with the tab.

It is not a problem at all. Gerry Smith at Kindermann Canada can do that for you. I had my 50 Summicron done by him. Looks like it came from the factory that way. Modest price. Give him a call...905-940-9262. He is one of the best!

I have had DAG install a tab on my 50mm Summilux. Itlooks just likeLeitz had originally put it there. He also replaced a broken tab on my 4th generation 35mm Summicron. Stronger mounting than the factory flimsy one.

Next will be a tab on my 90mm Tele-Elmarit.

Jerry