Lens to use with D200

schmuy

Looking for suggestions of lenses to use for wedding photography. I currently

have a D200 w/ nikon 18-200VR. My thoughts were the 70-200 f/2.8 (thinking it

might be too much zoom) or the 28-70 f/2.8. Any other suggestions.

Part 2, Where in Vancouver, BC am I able to rent these lenses?

Rent? To try before you buy? Or for your shoots?

For your shoot: I used to rent lenses for weddings but everytime there seemed to be something wonky with the lens. I'd test it as much as I had time for beforehand (and that gets old really fast). I've just found that I prefer to have equipment that I really know with me on a wedding shoot. No time for dealing with a lens' personality. ;)

To try before you buy: If you feel like a road trip, Glazer's in Seattle, WA rents equipment. If you buy from them, they'll put the rental fee towards your purchase. Lenses are around $25 to rent for a weekend if you pick up on Friday night.

As for equipment, I also own the D200 and have been trying to decide which lens set-up to go with myself.

Prime Lens: Larger Apertures available, lighter, not as expensive and no distortion worries. But may miss shots due to the need to move/chg lenses to compose.

Zoom: Fast composing ability. 2.8 isn't bad but it isn't 1.4, however there is VR. The 70-200mm is HEAVY. Your arms/shoulders get so sore holding/carrying that thing. But it does look impressive on your camera.;)

I haven't used a 28-70, but I'm tempted by this lens. I think I would get the most use outta this zoom range.

From experience I find the 50mm 1.4 invaluable in low light situations and a nice portrait lens on the D200. I shoot with it the most for getting ready shots and ceremony shots. AND it's light!!

I purchased an 85mm 1.8 for formals more zoomed in and if I need something more zoomed in for a ceremony where I'm shooting from the back of a dark church.

I also own the 18-200mm which i know has distortion issues but I just keep people away from the edges. It is such a handy little lens if you have the light. My mom was married outside and I used this lens until we went inside. Then I promply put on my 50 mm. ;)

My only problem with this lens set-up is that I have no fast wide angle. Otherwise I love it. Hence why I'd been eyeing the 28-70. Could be handy. Then again you could purchase a fixed landscape.

Lots of people really enjoy the 28-70 and 70-200 set-up. I just felt that the 70-200 was just too heavy for the amount of use one would get with it. It's nice to zoom in at the ceremony on the fingers when they are giving each thier rings. Also you can be more stealthy with candids at the reception. However I noticed that I tended to use it more at the 70-80mm range. So I went with the 85mm instead.

Hope this helps!

Michelle

Thanks for your responses. Just to clarify as I forgot to mention. I will not be the official photographer at these weddings. They are friends getting married and I figured this would be a good opertunity to get wedding experience without all of the pressure. I currently am not able to afford any new lenses so these would be strictly to rent.

Zofia Waig: would the 17-55DX lens be too much of a wide angle for a wedding/reception? I'm sure I would appreciate the wide angle at some points but I assume that I would want something capable of more zoom. Am I wrong?

Bryan,

The 18-200 is not the best lens but it is a very good lens. Since your only doing this for friends, stick with this lens.

I use the 17-55 F2.8 for the protrait/ ceremony shots, the critical shots. But for the reception, the casual shots, the 18-200VR works the best for me.

Good luck