What should I buy with $1000?

nghi_hoang

Greg wrote:

"Sigma 14mm 3.5. There is one on Ebay now, Buy-it-Now $225.00."

My reply:

I was there last night and again this morning, I must have missed it because all I can find is one for $499.

Greg wrote:

"So offensive is flash to me that I'd rather not have the shot if I can't get it by ambient light."

My reply:

Nothing is so offensive to me as dogma.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tonybeach/mypicturesfolder/march2007/large/_AWB1930_RML.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tonybeach/recentfavorites/large/AWB_5804.jpg

Sorry Greg, my mistake about the flash, that reply was intended for Karim. My search was "Sigma 14", so that was why I didn't see it in my search results. I saw Peter's reply comparing the Nikkor 12-24 to the Sigma 14, but was still wondering if you had tried both (I actually have the Tokina 12-24 which I might sell if I bought and kept the Sigma 14mm).

Haven't tried. I like the Sigma because it is a fixed focal length mainly. I tend to either bring a few fixed lenses or a couple of zooms. Image quality wise it's alright. Pictures are sharp enough. I would say sharper than the Nikon kit zooms, but not as sharp as regular fixed length Nikkors.

The kit zooms (I forget what I have- 17-55 or something) look like things are out of focus slightly. The Sigma looks a bit soft, but not out of focus looking, if that makes sense. Customers would never notice the difference between the Sigma and a Nikon prime in small prints or event web gallery stuff. You will see it is a tad softer when you zoom in on a shot.

I like the range of my cheapy zoom, but the softness of the images just reaches the point where I don't want to use that lens. Sigma no problem.

I would be nice to try the Tokina, the range is great. As with any super-wide you have to expect a tad bit of compromises compared to more normal focal lengths.

Oops again Greg. I didn't get enough sleep last night and keep goofing up. I see that you haven't had the opportunity to make a direct comparison to the lens I currently own or its more expensive Nikkor version. The Sigma 14/3.5 for $225 you referred to on Ebay does have some issues with its front coating.

"I have a $1000.00 to spend on new gear."

Nghi, if you spend 36hrs at a time using Olympus "rear-mounted" optics, I suspect that 1)

you have more than $1000 to spend, but 2) you are married:)

I am torn between investing in an 85mm lens; I have the 1.4 AIS; I would like the T/S; I

would get the most use out of the 1.4 AF.

What I really should do is redouble my efforts in backing up my images. Hard drives aren't

nearly as much fun as a new lens, but if disaster strikes you'll be glad that you've put the

effort into having duplicated or triplicated files.

Eric, unfortunately, I have exactly $1000 and am not married, yet. At the current time, I am paying to work the intermittent 36-hour shifts. Then again, there are other gains besides money. :)

I mentioned before that I am a bit of a gear head. My PC is home-brew with approximately 1 terabytes of storage, including backups. Harddrives are getting cheaper and cheaper. The last time I read a Fry's ad, the price for a gigabyte was $0.25. Simply amazing!

Bought the 85mm 1.4 on Thursday afternoon, brought it back on Friday morning. I was very disappointed, it really wasn't any better than my 50mm 1.4 except for a little length advantage. Either get the 12-24 Nikon or maybe a 10-20mm Sigma or save up for the 70-200 2.8 VR (amazing lens).

<p>Nghi, I'll toss my suggestion into the ring, too</p>

<p>How about... 1)Sell off the 105mm and use the $$ to fund the 85mm you desire. If you have an 85mm, would you really miss the 105mm? Doubt it. <br>2) I have to agree with many posters that the Tokina 12-24 and SB-800 would be a sensible and satisfying way to spend $1000. <br>3) With any money you have left over, I'd recommend <a href="http://www.partnersinhealth.org">www.partnersinhealth.org</a>. Hey, let's enjoy our good fortune in having enough money to buy nice gear, but let's also help those who have nothing.