What should I buy with $1000?

nghi_hoang

I have a bit of a dilemma, sort of.  I have a $1000.00 to spend on new

gear. Oh yes!  I'm a happy camper.  But let's start with what I have:

D200, F100, Nikon 80-200 AFD 2.8,

Nikon 17-35 AFS 2.8, Tokina 28-70 ATX 2.8, Nikon 105 Micro 2.8, Nikon 105 AIS

2.5, and a SB-28 flash.  Since receiving the D200, my wide angle zoom is no

longer what it is on the F100.  This is a bit frustrating, if you know what I

mean.  Naturally, I want a lens that gives me back the wide angle. 

However, I have wanted to get the 85 AFD 1.4 for quite a while. Also, I want a

flash that work with the D200.  So, with that budget, what do you think I

should get?

<ul>

<li>

Wide angle zoom? 

Choices: Nikon 12-24 (will use up the entire budget) or Tokina 12-24 ($500

left over for maybe an SB-800 and still have some small change left) or

fill-in-the-blank</li>

<li>

Get the 85 AFD 1.4 (I do

like to shoot portrait, but I have the 105 AIS 2.5 already, albeit a little

long with the D200)</li>

</ul>

<p>

As far as subject matters, I

like landscape, macro, and portrait.  I guess you can say I shoot

everything. 

I can understand the 85mm since you like portrait work. Great choice. But as you said, you also like landscape and you are missing a lot from the wide end. You have the 85 covered but not something wider than 28mm.

If I was in your situation, I would be thinking either add the Tokina 12-24 with the SB800 or just get the Nikon 12-24. In the end, I would take the first one. The Tokina is an excellent lens as is the flash. Sounds to me like that would be the best of both worlds for you.

And you can always start saving up again for the 85mm but in the meantime, you will have had lots of use from your new lens and flash.

Thanks all for helping me with this. As for using that money to travel, this is a graduation gift from my parents. Besides, I don't have much time for travel, at least not to exotic place like Africa. I am, however, thinking about a road trip to the pacific northwest for a few days.

I am a little bit of a gear head. If money isn't an obstacle, I would probably own a lot of Nikon glass.

TWO SB-800's so you can do multiple wireless set-up. Sell the SB-28 ($100?)(doesn't talk to the D200 as well as the newer flashes). Still have $500 for a lens.

I have an old Sigma 14mm 3.5 that I can't stop using on my D200. That and a 50mm 1.4 should keep you at about $500.

The 85mm 1.8 is a good value.

For film use, the 35mm f2 and 85mm 1.8 would be a great inexpensive and light combo. For digital, a used 14mm and a 50 1.4.

Greg wrote:

"I have an old Sigma 14mm 3.5 that I can't stop using on my D200. That and a 50mm 1.4 should keep you at about $500."

My reply:

Have you compared the Sigma 14/3.5 to the 12-24 zooms? I have a hard time finding this lens and never see it for less than about $500.

IMHO... Flash? Who the hell wants a flash? The results are awful (but studio set-ups are another thing though). And if you want dinner party snapshots carry a compact FFS. So offensive is flash to me that I'd rather not have the shot if I can't get it by ambient light.

That Tokina sounds nice, so get that, some memory cards and maybe a 300mm of some kind? The wide is probably more important but you can take nice portraits with a 300mm, too. Or a 180? Nikon makes some good 180s AFAIK. You'll have change left over for memory cards or something.

Two SB-600's; One SU-800. Left over money goes for a field trip anywhere you want that has colorful subjects, in wonderful golden light. If the light is lacking, you will always be ready. You will see how a couple of speedlights will open more vistas for you.

I would skip buying more lenses, unless you are willing to subtract from your inventory.

Karim, I can see your point. The reason I need a flash is to take full advantage of the iTTL flash system in the field for close up work. I am barely managing with the SB-28 since it can only do manual and A mode with the D200. I don't mind this so much for non-moving subjects because I can use my ambient meter, but with insects...forget it. Proper and creative use of flash can produce amazing results, at least compared to my skill level with flash. Some evidence <a href="http://strobist.blogspot.com/?">here</a>.

<p>

It is because of the low light shooting capability of the 85 AFD 1.4 that makes the lens so attractive to me. As far as bokeh, I have seen results from this lens and they are simply excellent.

<p>

I had a thought. Tokina 12-24, SB-800, and a used/new Nikon 50 AFD 1.4 (saw a mint used Nikkor 50 1.4 yesterday, but was too late to make offer). This will probably go over the budget limit.

<p>

Peter and hiro, can you explain your gravitation toward the 35mm f2? It is a Nikkor, right?