Built-in margins - borderless printing?

Recently my wife bought some 4x6" paper to print pics from a recent vacation

using PS Elements and an HP970 printer. She wanted to print borderless but

she could NOT get the white borders to disappear! Print Preview showed a fat

border on the right and thin borders on the other edges and that's exactly what

she got. The borders could not be moved and they matched exactly the margins

listed in Page Setup, which are grayed-out and could not be edited.

I use PC CS and an Epson 2200 and I'd never encountered this because I always

cut my prints on a paper cutter before matting them. But when I tried to print

borderless on my 2200 or on her HP970 I had the same problem! The default

margins for the Epson are different from the HP but they are just as grayed-out

and just as un-editable.

How do you turn off margins to get borderless prints with Photoshop?

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure that printer can print borderless? I just did a google search and couldn't confirm that it can. If it does, it should say so on the side of the box. Not sure if you know this or not, but only certain printers can print borderless. If your's can, you'll see it as an option in the printer driver window when Photoshop hands it over.

Neither printer has a checkbox for "borderless" but the Epson 2200 has one to "minimize margins" (whatever <i>that</i> means). Epson's website claims that the 2200 can do borderless printing but I see no evidence for it in the driver's UI.<P>

Still, the <b>size</b> of the margins is enormous - .25 inches left and right, .06 top and .506 bottom, for example. If they are doing this to avoid spritzing ink off the paper these values are way overkill. But they are grayed-out in "Page Setup" and I don't see any place to set them in the driver UI's. Where are these values actually set and controlled? Is there a Registry entry that controls the margin size? I did a search with Regedt32 but didn't come up with anything promising. (I'm using XP Pro SP2)

Peter,

Again without having either printer you mention, I'll try one more option. Do you have the right paper selected? There is a choice of 4x6 perforated and just 4x6. If you choose perforated than it may disable the option. The 2400 has a similar option (borderless check box), though it's not loaded on this computer so I can't see for sure.

Good luck-

Eric

I can't help on the HP printer but the Epson 2200 driver does in fact have a "borderless" setting. I'm not near the computer that has my 2200 hooked up to it at the moment to tell you what page in the driver settings it's on, but it's there. My recollection is that it's NOT on the same page as the "minimize margins" setting. Maybe the main page.