Diopter correction lenses for Leicaflex SL and SL2

j. f.

Does anybody have advice for diopter correction lenses to fit these two cameras:

Leicaflex SL and SL2? I bought them a while ago and really like them but the

viewfinders while bright seems difficult to focus, especially with wider angle

lenses. I usually dial in -2 on my Leica R8 and so I'm sure a dioptre correction

lense will sort out the problem...any advice welcome. Thanks!

The SL2 will take ordinary R eyepiece accessories such as correction lenses and eyecups. The SL, I believe, needs a different fitting.

A related question: I believe that without a correction lens Leica M rangefinders are -0.5 and Nikon SLRs are -1.0. Does anyone know what the nominal value is for the SL and SL2 (and whether they differ from each other)?

Hi, I have some experience with this as well. My advice would be to take your camera to a big camera store and try out a bunch of different square diopters for different cameras. Some of the EOS ones seem to fit, and also the Pentax ME types seem to be able to be jammed on. I got rid of my Leicaflex a while back, and kind of regret it. For film its a great camera, and you can always bung the lenses on an EOS body, if you need digital or more sophisticated features.

Best of luck, and if you find a solution make sure to let Doug Herr know.

• 4 months later...
I finally bought my diopters. I have a Leica R8 which I found best set at -1.5 (this camera has a built in variable diopter). I ordered the same power diopter for my Leiaflex SL and Leicaflex SL2, and now both their viewfinder images are CRYSTAL sharp. The Leicaflex SL2 accepts more easly found eyepiece holders, same as those for the R4-R6 cameras. The diopter on the SL is more rare. I found the 'Eyepiece Lens Holder for Leicaflex Std. & SL', on this website, part number(DAGR98): http://www.dagcamera.com/leicaflex.htm. Another option for the SL is if you send in the camera to the same company they can machine the viewfinder so the more recent and less bulky R4-R6 camera holder fits. By the way DAG serviced both of my cameras and they are in great order. Highly recommended!