200 2.8 lens (I must say I feel a bit nauseus from the amount of money I just

spent! Hopefully it's worth it!) I shoot mostly outdoor daylight sports

(races), but have some contacts who are willing to let me try some indoor,

nighttime events once I have the right equipment. I have never used any flash

(aside from the one that comes on the camera). Can anyone suggest a good flash

to start out with, and any accessories I need with the flash? I'll be shooting

events such as galas, awards dinners, social events, etc.) In terms of price

range, I guess I'm looking for something mid-range - a flash that will last me

a while and grow with me as I grow as a photographer.

Thanks so much for your help!

For the sort of applications you have in mind, you need a powerful unit, and the only Canon choices you should consider are the 550EX, 580EX, and 580EXII. If you are still in no-compromise mode, get the 580EXII, as advised by Giampi. At the other end of the scale, a good s/h 550EX will do the job almost as well at a much lower price, and if you get the 580EXII later, the 550EX it will provide everything you need from a slave flash.

As one doing Gala events, dinners presentations etc. there is no mid range flash sufficient. we use 550EX, but it won`t grow with you more the other way round, its limited with focal point adjustments (5) as compared to the 580EX . as said the new 580EX2 is the most promising and versatile EX flash so far. If serious its the one to start with. Looks like our nex flash as well, we have 430EX`s as well found them reasonable in small places but used twice and been boxed since.

good luck

I do not believe that is correct.

While the 550EX won't support the diagonal and vertical focus points on the low end cameras. . .it is my understanding that it does support all 45 AF points in the "1" series cameras.

(this should give you an indication of the difference in the AF ability of this camera: More points in a smaller area, which should afford a higher probability of the camera focusing on what you want it to focus on.)

The 550EX, 580EX, 580EXII all have about the same power. Recycle time on the 580's is significantly lower.

BUT. . .paired with the 70-200 lens. . .you will tend to be standing at the extreme edge of the flash range. This will force you to abandon bounce flash and shoot the flash straight ahead. At longer focal ranges. . this will result in red-eye.

Solution: Buy a 580EX. Get a diffuser. ($15). Buy a lens with a shorter focal length (24-70/2.8) for indoor work. Bounce the flash. When you get good. .. consider colored diffusers to balance flash illumination with ambient light.

Thanks Jim respectfully for pointing that out, the last time we used a 1d2 with 70 200 we did not use the 550ex flash as it was on the 20d.

I have read post where the 1d2 and 550 have communication problems in low light when using the red focus assist beams, the AF lag is quite large and has frustrated many. the 580sx and some firmware seams to have addressed this problem. Interesting if some 1st hand knowledge on this forum. If true go for 580/5802. example

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/canon-1-series-digital-slr-eos-5d/45840-1d2-580ex-test-request-please.html