Sudden unavailability... what would you do?

zenia

A bride contacted me recently about her upcoming wedding and asked if I were

available. I said yes and she said she was interested in my services so I sent

her a contract to sign and asked for a 50% deposit.

A week later, I had a family issue arise, and was no longer available on her

date. I immediately sent her an e-mail telling her I was no longer available. At

this time, she had not signed the contract nor given me a deposit.

She called me and was furious and sent an e-mail expressing the same. I

profusely apologized and feel really bad. What would you have done in this

situation? What could I have done differently?

Did you offer her the names/numbers of someone else that you feel confident would do a good job??? if she hadnt' signed the contract or paid the deposit then I'd say it's not your problem .. it would be no differnet then two brides wanting teh same day and telling them whoever got the deposit to you first got the date. ..

Don't be so hard on yourself. You offered a legitimate explanation as well as a sincere apology. No contract was signed and no $$ exchanged hands so you did the right thing. If she doesn't understand then you wouldn't want to do business with her anyway. Just shrug it of and concentrate on the next wedding.

Well since it is LA area perhaps email me and I can talk with you tomorrow regarding her. I think we can help settle the brides nerves and give her exceptional photography and/or video. Needless to say we will speak highly of you and your work. We've done this before with great success. By the way I know most of the places on your site like Pepperdine University! Lets try to met with the bride show my work and still speak highly of you. Send an email and I will forward my 800 number so it won't cost you anything, but perhaps result with a good outcome. Maybe we can arrange a free engagement, or a 16X20 print and work together on it, or you can do the album to help build her trust. I've been shooting wedding since the 80's so rest assured I know what I'm doing and know how to sell! Regards, Bob

Though I'm not an attorney, I do know that a contract has three elements.

1. Offer

2. Acceptance

3. Consideration [money]

I would work with her to find another photographer, but I wouldn't broker the deal. Simply provide her with suggestions, offer input, and overwhelm her with a calm demeanor and professionalism, no matter her tone.

No money = no date. Let it go. If another bride had met with you and requested that date with money in hand and a pen poised for signature, you would have taken her over the one who had not responded (yet).

This business is first come first serve. Offer no excuses. You told her right away the date became committed prior to her sending money or contract. Matters not if the committment was personal or for another customer.

> What could I have done differently? <

1. Have in place a better business protocol apropos dealing with contracts that are `sent out to be signed`: and that might be that you `do not send contracts out to be signed`.

If you do not address this systemic problem, as your business grows you will have the same problem again, but probably much larger. It matters not the reason for your unavailability, which is coincidental.

2. Regarding the `family issue`, apropos your business, then you need to make a protocol in this regard also, i.e. what is your protocol if the bride had signed and you had taken the deposit and then the `family issue` came up?

So in a nutshell you have TWO systems you need to get into place quick smart.

WW