- R2400 +US265.00

- R2400 has capacity for greater paper thickness

- R2400 has optional network capability

- R2400 has optional (3rd party) Post Script capability

I do not require these R2400 extras.

Is there any other reason I should plunk down an extra US265.00 and buy the

R2400 over the R1800?

Cheers! Jay

You should also look very hard at the HP B9180. It has most of the capabilities of the 2400

and some that neither of the Epson printers have (e.g. builtin Ethernet). If rolls are important

then it is not for you since it doesn't have a roll holder. I am in the midst of testing this

printer extensively for View Camera Magazine and so far it is a real winner for color, black

and white and digital negatives. It handles thick papers very well.

I pretty much agree with the above comments. I own and use both. The K3 inkset in the 2400 is superb for B&W whereas the 1800 is simply useless for B&W. I believe the K3 inkset has a greater gamut than the 1800.

If I were buying today though, I'd buy neither. I'd get the 3800 (unless you want to print off a roll). It costs more up front but this is quickly made up in it's lower ink costs, so in fact it is the cheaper printer to own. It also uses the K3 inkset and allegedly has a better print head. It also will take paper up to 17 inches wide.

Paul

As long as one is testing for View Camera be sure to talk or cough over a few prints and then wipe off the small drops of spittle & see if HP has yet fixed the inks so they don't smear off the paper. Running a custom framing business I have seen too many prints come in and the owner set the print down and talk over it rather than off to the side. Yep, one drop of spit and he wipes it off and takes the ink right off the paper. HP in each instance. The epson prints don't do that.

Hope they have it fixed with these newer introductions. That type of moisture sensitivity would scare me if I were hanging a print in much of the country with high humidity. Especially if the frame shop that does your work doesn't do a good job.