Need help picking out a new bag, can't seem to find one that doesn't slide off my shoulder

dennis_w1

My current bag is a Tamrac, I am not sure of the model as a friend gave it to

me 3 years ago, I was told it was made in the late 80's it's external

measurement is about 11"x7"

My main problem, there isn't a handle on the bag; it's just a quick flap, and a

leather padded shoulder strap. For some strange reason I can not hang bags on

my shoulder, they just slide right off (I guess I'm built wrong lol). Another

issue, the bag is to bulky, after an hour or so I almost feel like dragging it

behind me. My other smaller bag for my rangefinders, Delsey Gopix 70, it slides

off my shoulders as well.

I mainly shoot street, and wilderness (trails, parks etc.) The equipment I'm

looking to bring with me is either of canon bodies (Elan II or EOS 650) 2 or 3

lenses 70-210, 19-35, 50MM prime, duster, several micro fiber cloths, various

filters (75MM, 62MM) and of course film.

My ideal bag would be something that has a handle for easier handling, I would

prefer the bag not be too flashy, and something allot less bulky.

So far I been looking online, as the closest Ritz is almost an hours drive from

here. I pretty much like the Tamrac System 3 (5603)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=169546&is=REG&addedTroughType=search but would like a

few more suggestions.

Thanks in advance

The Domke canvas bags will stick to your shoulder if anything will. They're not flashy except to someone who recognizes the name. I think the F-4AF should fit your stuff. It's suitable if you like to have your camera pointing down, so you lift it out with virtually the same grip that you use for shooting. It has both a shoulder strap and a hand strap. See here:

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-40S

You might well find that changing the strap on the bag makes it a lot easier to carry and slip less. Look at Op/Tech straps- you'll be surprised at the difference they make. Also note that certain types of clothing can make it easier for the bag to slip- I certainly have some coats I can carry a camera in and others which have it sliding all over in seconds- particularly some types of microfibre.

Canvas bags with decent straps (with non-skid material) will certainly help.

Canvas bags conform both to the bag's contents (interior) and whatever it's

resting against (your side. your hip . . .). This seems to help with the non-sliding-off thing.

Op-Tech straps are good, I use Tamrac straps which quickly clip-on/off - they're

good, the Domke canvas bags are very good, together with their supplied straps,

Billingham bags and straps are good. All of these are "good" because they

function well as straps/bags, are very long wearing, and do not slip off of

[most] shoulders.

Not everyone is built to comfortably or conveniently carry a shoulder bag.

If it's more than an (D)SLR and 2 lenses I'm carrying I do not use a shoulder bag.

If nothing else works you might want to try a bag/strap together with epaulettes on a shirt. shirt-jac, jacket or vest. I don't know how comfortable

this would be, but at least the bag would stay on your shoulder.

This is one of those seemingly minor but seriously annoying problems we

sometimes encounter. Good luck.

I lift the strap over my head so that it hangs across my body - the same way bicycle messengers carry their bags. It absolutely won't slip off. As for bags, I prefer the Timbuk2 messenger bags. They are well built, made of coated nylon, and not padded (I carry my lenses in cases so I don't need padding).

Any bag with a waist belt in addition to the shoulder strap stays put with the added benefit of moving much of the weight to your waist.

Lowe-Pro makes an optional strap that is curved rather than straight so it sits flat on your slanted shoulder in use providing more friction. It is also wide providing additional comfort

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Accessories/add_ons_upgrades/Deluxe_Shoulder_Strap.aspx

With many bags in the line, you need to purchase the waist belt as an option, but they are a big help in taking weight and keeping the bag from twisting around.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/allWeather/Compact_AW.aspx

Look at view 6 showing the waist belt.

My favorite 'street and field series' no longer seems to be cataloged

The happening shoulder bags are made by ThinkTankPhoto. Domke and Crumpler are highly regarded also. I'm a big fan of waistbelt systems by ThinkTank and the sling bag (Slingshot 200) by Lowepro. My all time fav shoulder bag is the Lowepro ProMag 2 with SlipLock cases (60 AW and 10 AW, one on each end) but loaded, you need the waist belt and shoulder harness.

A word to the wise, there's no perfect bag as there's only a bag for the time and moment. Depending on how much you wish to carry will depend on which bag is right for the moment. The more you load in the bag, after a couple of miles, the more you'll wish you hadn't.

Good luck in sorting through this conundrum. :D

I'm with Robert, put the strap over your head and it won't slip. Another advantage of this method is you can slide the bag around to the from for security or to the back to keep it from snagging on things when in tight fitting spaces or just for convienence. You also don't have to walk around trying to keep you shoulder up!

Domke's have always been my favorite bags, and they have rubber strips sewn into the straps for the sole purpose of keeping the thing up on your shoulder.

If you're otherwise happy with the bag you have now, though, Domke straps can be purchased on their own, as can the "postal" shoulder pad which adds some cushion and is also non-slip. I don't see any reason you couldn't put a Domke strap or pad on your current bag.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, the Lowepro slingshot might be what I have to go to. The Domke bags look really nice to. I have also looked at those Crumpler bags in the past, but they just seem way to over priced for what you get.

I'm really not to happy with my current bag at all, besides the nuisances I listed, the interior is breaking down, when I pull my gear out it's covered in a fine white powder, I've washed the bag a few times now and it's still a problem.

The strap suggestions might help some, but I really think my shoulder is the issue. I have a pretty top of the line Targus laptop bag that has the curved ergonomic padded strap, and even that doesn't stay put.

I've never had one single bag of any type that didn't slip off my shoulder. I spent many years in the gym building my trapezius only to discover that it gave me a straight line from my earlobe to the seam of my shirt sleeve, haha! That, and I'd like to wear a tie one time without my collar rubbing my ears. It makes me look like I have a raisin-sized head! (Which I do, now that I mention it... but I digress.) If you are athletic at all I would imagine you have the same problem.

Like most folks, I throw the strap over my head. It's short throw. The few times I didn't the bag slid off my shoulder and onto the hard ground below. Embarassing, yes- and scary to watch all that camera gear bounce off the asphalt. Thank God for good bags with padded bottoms.

Thank God for women with padded bottoms- but that's a different topic and again, I digress.

"Thank God for women with padded bottoms- but that's a different topic and again, I digress."

Fat-bottomed girls, they make the rockin' world go round ....

Okay, so I digressed too. I must confess, I've thrown the bag over my head a few times as well. And oddly enough, I'm not a big fan of slinger bags, which are actually designed to do that on purpose. Still prefer a good shoulder bag. Guess I'm just weird that way.

"If you are athletic at all I would imagine you have the same problem."

I used to work out alot, not anymore though unfortunately. When I was working out I used to make sure I worked each part of the shoulder (over head dumbbell, front raises, side laterals, lats) I?m not sure that the workouts did it though, I think it?s just my body type.

Anyone have any opinions on the delsey Pro bags? Mainly the Pro bag 4 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=DEPB4&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=280476

I really like my little Delsey Gopix 70 with my range finders, amazing how roomy that small bag is. Even right now I took my rangefinders out, and manged to get the Elan II with a 35-70 attached and have room for my 19-35 zoom not bad for 9.5"X5"

"Anyone have any opinions on the delsey Pro bags?"

I ordered one (don't recall the model) from B&H sight unseen a few years ago and sent it right back. I like a little padding in my bags, but the Delsey was overpadded (in my opinion) which made it a lot more bulky than it needed to be.

For everyday use, I really like the Domke bags. For travel, it's Lowepro as I feel that they offer more protection.

Rich

"For everyday use, I really like the Domke bags. For travel, it's Lowepro as I feel that they offer more protection."

FYI, the Domke F series (their best known bags) may not provide any protection, but the J series does. Not quite to the same degree as Lowepro, but still pretty decent.

For the OP, the lack of padding in the Domke F series does give it the advantage that it's very pliable, and forms to the body a lot better than most other bags. Thus don't let the lack of padding turn you off, unless you really desire a padded bag.

Thanks Rich, I really like the looks of the Domke bags as well especially the F3X http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-30B I really like the canvas look, but would the ballistic be more weather resistant?

The thing that threw me off a little about the Domke bags, there are a few reviews I've read that said there was little to no padding. I just worry about an accidental drop well out and about, I may not have the best gear around, but I still want to protect it.

"The thing that threw me off a little about the Domke bags, there are a few reviews I've read that said there was little to no padding. "

That's correct with the F-series Domkes. They do have a stiff bottom, and there are inserts that hold the lenses, etc., which are somewhat padded, but the bag itself is not - just a canvas shell. The reason for this is that it makes the bag a lot more maliable. Domke's hug your body, form around your hip and cling to you, which I really like; other bags I've had tend to stick out from the hip, thanks to the increased stiffness due to the padding.

The J-series Domkes ("J" for "Journalist") are better padded than the F-series.

Regarding the canvas, it's actually quite water resistant. Mostly the balistic nylon bags (like the J-series and the F-B series) will just last longer.