Is F4 able to use Nikon's creative lighting system?

lee_crump

I have enjoyed the heck ou of my Nikon F4 since I purchased it 2 years ago. Im

intrested in LIGHTWEIGHT studio strobes. I don't intend to do much studio

lighting. I am intrested in being able to adjust the output of the individual

strobes, RF camera to flash comunication, 1-4 remote lights, use of

umbrellas/softboxes ect. and not spending gobs of money.

From what I've been able to find out the Nikon creative lighting system will

fill the bill. The one fact I have not been able to find out is; Can I use my

F4 with some gizmo mounted on th hot shoe to controll the slave flashes or do I

have to hock it and upgrade to an F5?

Nikon's CLS was introduced in July 2003 along with the D2H camera body and SB-800 flash.

No Nikon body introduced prior to 2003 is compatible with CLS. If you shoot film, the only one that is compatible with CLS is the F6, which was introduced in late 2004.

Studio strobes and Nikon CLS`s hot shoe flashes are made for very different tasks. If you want to use standard umbrellas and softboxes you will need high output studio strobes. If you want to use several flash heads for filling or background illumination, simply use slave flashes/cells as it has been from years. It works.

TTL flash has no place under studio conditions, especially with multiple lights. You spend more time fooling around to make things work than simply using manual mode flash and a flash meter. Your F4 is as good as any other 35mm camera in this situation, except for the usual limitations of a focal plane shutter.

Edward, it sounds like you've never used CLS. It works fine under studio conditions. It is extremely easy to set up. Playing with a flash meter is much more time-consuming and in many situations, e.g. when photographing kids, it is just too slow (the kid won't be at the site you metered when you take the shot).

Flash metering and manual flash are great when you have an assistant running around and professional models.

Ilkka,

Have you ever used studio lights? For kids I use soft boxes that cover a large area. If I can keep the kid inside the 8x12 backdrop, I'm OK. Of course, I don't bother with hair lights and kickers - save that for adults. With shoe-poppers you don't have enough power or coverage to do that, so CLS probably works better for you ;-)