eliot_baker

i have the 580ex and just puchashed the 430ex to use as a slave. just

yesterday i was taking some pictures and it worked great. today, after reading

the manual and trying diffrent settings, which may be the root of my problem, i

noticed the slave is firing aobut a 1/2 sec. after the master. i have re-read

the manual and looked on the net to try to find answers. does anyone know what

is causing this problem. its firing so late the shutter opened and closed by

the time the slave fires....plz help

Sounds like something is wrong, but before we go jumping to conclusions, could you clarify a few items?

Are you using second (rear) curtain sync? How slow is your shutter set to? Do you have the master's flash turned off, so that only the slave fires? This would allow you to see the metering pre-flashes from the master, but only the 430EX would actually fire during the exposure.

i had both flashes in hand the 580 in master mode and the 430 in slave mode and hit the "pilot" button wich fires a test flash and the 430 was instant in responding to the master. and i took some photos right after i tested it out and it worked great. answer #2. i dont know what second curtain sync is, sorry. as i said im a beginner and i was trying to get familuar with my new "toys" and may have "did something"......thanks for trying to help. in the book it describes a way to put the flashes back on the factory settings by connecting it to a camera that has a "clear" button. the canon 30D doesnt have one!

I believe the 30D (I don't have one) can reset everything back to factory default settings by way of one of its menu choices. You might want to try that with the flash on the camera and see if it resets the flash as well.

Second curtain sync sounds like what you are seeing in combination with a slow shutter setting. You can set second curtain sync from the flash or from the camera. Check you manuals for details, but I suspect you've got it set that way on the flash. The other thing that you might have set is the "flash off" setting for the master. Again, check you manuals for details.

I have the same setup. When you push the pilot buttom it will fire the second flash a sec later. I think the reason is so you can make sure that both flashes are working. It would be hareder to see if both flashes are working if they fired at the same time.

GUESS WHAT!! I FIXED IT (OR I SHOULD SAY I FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM). BOTH OF YOU ARE RIGHT! WHEN THE FLASHES ARE NOT CONNECTED TO A CAMERA AND YOUR TESTING THERE IS A DELAY SO YOU CAN SEE IT EASIER. CONNECT THE CAMERA AND IT WORKS PERFECT. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AND EFFORT IN HELPING ME OUT