24/25mm alternatives

ray .

The Biogon 25mm ZM is drop-dead marvelous, and a bargain compared to the Leica

24mm ASPH. It's <i>far better</i> than the Nikkors (which have a lot of coma softening

the corners until well stopped down), and it's a smaller lens, though long for an RF lens.

The Biogon is RF coupled to 0.7 meters then uncoupled down to 0.5m, unlike the current

Voigtländer which is a stop slower than the Zeiss. The Voigtländer 25mm brightline

external finder is very good, though not as nice or well made as my Zeiss 21mm finder, so

the Zeiss 25/28mm finder is probably a notch better.<br><br>

A Biogon 25mm sample: <a href="http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~keirst/city/

boston34.html">Street Shoving Match, Boston, MA, 2006</a>

Soon (May) Voigtlander will have a small RF coupled 25/4 in M mount. It will go for about

50,000 yen, meaning around 40,000. I think that is a viable alternative to the current

Voigtlander 25/4, the excellent but heavy and expensive Elmarit 24/2.8 and the less

expensive and heavy and excellent Zeiss 25.2.8.

The 25mm f/2.8 biogon is an excellent lens in pretty much every way. It is definitely worth

considering. The Leica 24mm is also superb, but far more expensive. I have not used the CV

25mm, but I did have the 21mm -- a good lens, but nowhere near the 21mm biogon, which

is not as good as the 25mm biogon (I have both). The 25mm is the best wider than 35mm

lens I have used.

I have a very hard time believing the Leica 24mm is better than the Zeiss 25mm for film

cameras. The Biogon 25mm's better than some Leica lenses I used to have, like the 35mm

Summicron ASPH. The 24mm Elmarit is much more M8 compatible though, bringing up the

right frameline for it.

I have the original, uncoupled 25mm C/V 1:4 on my IIIF. It's a great lens with a great finder(the later version with frameline) -- I don't miss the coupling: the DOF is enormous. Stephen is closing them out for $245, including finder, which sells alone for $128.00!!! Grab one