Orientation of film in holder?

py_wong

Hey guys, I have a very super silly question to ask here. Since i havent doen LF for a long long time, it

seem s that I have forgotten how to load the dark slides...

Am I correct that thet notches of the 5 x 4 films need to be at the "bottom left corner" when the end of the

holder is towards me? So if I am pulling the dark slide towards me, the notches would then be at the 'top

right corner'?

Sorry if this is a supre silly question...

This morning I went to a photographic flea market where I was able to score three brand-new-in-the-original-box Riteway holders, complete with the original instruction leaflet.

Here's what it said:

"Insert the film in the side film channel of the holder. Maker sure that notched corner of the film is in the right corner of the hinged-end of the holder."

I had this problem and for a start had a few red transpacenies from back to front loading.

With the darkslide vertical (portrait) the darkslides for exposure removal are at the bottom, and the loading flap at the top, the film notch is then in the top right of the film by the loading flap.

Full diagrammes for loading darkslides are shown in the book "medium and large format photography" by Roger Hicks and his wife who's name has now eluded me. I wish I had referanced this book earlier it would have saved me film costs and time. You learn by your mistakes though!

Hope things go well PY, good luck with your photography.

Sincerely,

Phil grain