AE-1 Loading Problems

harrisonp

I've been shooting my Canon AE-1 lately and I've been getting my rolls of film

back with a number of frames blank. There are a number of rolls blank and a roll

that's exposed correctly..then a few more that are blank. I've looked back at

the exposure data I record and the surrounding blank frames are on the same

settings and same lighting as the correctly exposed pictures. What is going on?

Is there an error in my method of loading the film? I put the cartrige in, pull

the leader across, clip it in where the arrow says to, cock it once and the

leader is wound away from me towards the front of the body, and then I close and

fire off until it goes to 1. Could there potientially mechanically be something

wrong with the accuracy and consistency of my shutter speeds? Or something else.

IIRC, the AE-1 uses a shutter system which releases both curtains at the same time, holding the second curtain with a solenoid until proper exposure is reached. If the clutch is slipping, or the battery is going dead, or the contacts are dirty, etc., the curtains can travel together, resulting in a blank frame. I had (actually, still have) an A-1 which would do that in sub-zero weather (cold battery = low voltage).

In the AF, I was taught to advance the film a few extra times before closing the back, to be sure the film snags the takeup spool correctly (a wasted frame is less expensive than the wrath of a peaved-off officer).

Rand McNatt: "advance the film a few extra times before closing the back"

Which is what I do with my AL-1. I put in the cartridge, hook the leader into the take up spool, and wind the film on. See if it catches. Relase the shutter with the back open, then wind again. If the leader is clearly held on the spool and the film is being carried around, then wind once more to acheive proper tension (becasue closing the back with a huge excess of film can carry it off the sprockets). Then close the back and wind it on to 1.

That worls for me. Sometimes, the film doesn't catch properly and I have to spend a bit of time hooking it in properly, but as Rand says, better to waste a few frames then a whole reel thinking you're shooting something.

I had the same problem with my AE-1P a couple of years ago. It turned out to be the shutter curtain as folks were saying above. It ended up costing around $100 in repair charges including a bearing replacement. Not to bad if you're planning to keep the camera.