how do you handle the vow exchange photos?

aka eve adams

What is the best way in your opinion to catch the exchange of vows/rings/glances

etc that occur during the ceremony, without being obtrusive and moving too much?

I usually photograph these from the back of the church available light, but find

it difficult to catch facial expressions from the side without going to the

sides of the church, and then getting to see the other spouses expressions...

how do y'all handle this? Samples would be appreciated.

I usually sit on the floor in the aisle (so as to not block the guests view) about 20 feet back from the couple. This of course only works if the minister stays on the back side of them. I sit in the pew to shoot the aisle shots then move into the aisle after the bride passes. I've had a lot of ministers thank me for being unobtrusive and not moving around.

Same as Connie except I kneel and then pop up for a few shots.

If I sit it's harder to get up and down quickly! :<)

Also sitting in the front pews near the Parents is a good spot but

it would be polite to let them know first just before the ceremony.

They usually agree. The only thing to avoid is running up and down the center aisle and blocking peoples view or being a distraction.

I use different methods for the different images you mention. For the glances, nothing is as good as "for real". If I am allowed to be in a position to get a 3/4 view of the face of each, that is what I do--usually you need a telephoto lens. If I am not allowed, I get what profile views I can (unless the officiant forgets to turn the couple toward each other), and restage a few after the ceremony. Real vows shots aren't always flattering since not a lot of people look good with their mouths open or struggling to speak through tears (better on video, not so great in still pictures), so I tend to concentrate on the other person's expressions when the one is talking. I go wherever I am allowed, but if I am in a kind of prominent spot, I only hover for a second, take the picture, then leave to a less obvious spot and I don't keep coming back. I always follow the rules of the church/officiant. Most of the vows/glances shots are taken from one side or the other.

The ring exchange I shoot "for real", usually a full length or half length view, but almost always re-stage for the closer view, since as someone mentioned above, most of the time you can't even see the rings, even if you have full access. You'd have to be on top of the couple and stop them to tell them to tip their hands to equal the kind of shot you can get later in the re-posing. Of course, this is a no-no no matter what kind of access you were granted.

Yell out FREEZE? That will go over real well! Shoot the shot the best you can and then reshoot it after. Also we do the same with the lighting of the candle. Nothing to do with this topic, but if you are photographing a jewish wedding when the groom breaks the glass at the end, snap the shutter when his leg is up high in the air. If you don't you will miss the shot.

Another consideration might be:

~Use a remote camera that is focused on the area of the vow exchange and fire via PW.

Of course this does not come cheap and it's not always the easiest to set up but it is a viable alternative to be considered to capture a different type of look from a different angle (from behind the couple and actually capturing some of the family and guests).

This is a part of the wedding that I only like to do in real time. To me re-staging always feels like it is. In most cases the final choice of clients is minimal from the ceremony I would like more to work with in the album but most clients want more of themselves and of the events. That said, I usually work from the center aisel as close as the rules allow and working around tripods from video will let me.

For full mass work with telephoto and more normal lens but on short cermonies just go with what I can. The love of digital is that you can crop in without having to worry about always perfectly getting the tightest moment during the ceremony.

Brooke Moore