Polarizing filter plug-in

alex_ferraris

Part of the usage for a polarizer is to remove glare off a reflective surface, e.g. a window. So for example, when you take a picture of a window, you can use a polarizer to remove the reflection off the window so that you can see what is behind it, inside.

How do you achive that in PhotoShop without an actual polarizer?

Digital polarizers can NOT duplicate the actual role of the polarizer (i.e. cutting off glare and

reflections). Te only thing they do is really saturate your sky colours. There's plenty of freely

available actions and tutorials that do that, so imo no need purchasing one (unless you want

to purchase a real polarizer). and if you are really intent on wasting money, I am badly in

need of a 77mm slim polraizer and wouldn't mind a donation :-D

A deceptive naming practice is exactly what this "software polarizer" is. If you want to darken the sky or increase contrast, there are various ways to achieve it in PhotoShop, but if the reflection blocks whatever is behind a window such that it is not even in your image file, there is no way you can recover what is missing in PhotoShop.

Digital polarizer? I think I saw that on CSI. No wait. It was the enlargement/enhancement filter that allowed them to id a guy from his reflection in the glasses of a witness captured by a store monitoring video camera. That was it.

I'm for doing some things in camera. This is one I do in camera. Polarizing with a filter that adjusts just to the amount I want it is great to have. So I own Nikon's Type I & Type II polarizers & I have just won a Singh Ray Warming Polarizer off eBay. I'm looking forward to testing them against each other to see the difference.

JMHO

Lil

My fault at not beeing clear enough. What I meant was to get the LOOK and saturation of

having used the actual glass filter through a digital polarizer, in one single pass instead of

going through the different steps in PS. This is intended for pictures taken with the Ricoh GR

(an high end P&S) for which there is no polarizer. I never hoped to remove glare or

reflections!

By the way I have and USE B+W slim polarizers with my 12-24, sorry Younes...

Alex