frustrated trying to photograph my 3 month old niece

I have to say I'm no Anne Geddes, but I'm no rookie either. My bread and butter

is weddings and portraits, but I've certainly shot many children over my career.

My 3-month old niece however has me fustrated. I've tried 3 times to take

pictures of her and all 3 times it has been unsuccessful. She starts crying

right away and that's the end of it. The parents (my brother) get agitated, and

she doesn't stop crying until she's covered and back in her car-seat. The

temperature is on the hot side, rather than cold, I've waited for the mother to

breast feed before, hoping that she'll fall asleep after, but nothing.

Long story short, I'm fustrated, and I'm wondering if it's like this for every

one else. I even told my brother to take her to Baby'R Us where it's all set up

already, and it might have been quicker. Well she cried relentlessly there too

and they asked them to leave because the next appointment was already there, so

they left without pictures.

Do you have any experiences to share about this?

Thank you in advance

Hi Alain, I photograph a lot of children and at 3 months they are rarely easy to work with. I try to photography most of my little ones when they are 1-2 weeks old. At that time almost nothing will wake them up and I can do almost anything with them. At 3 month, most of my images involve parents, holding, kissing, nose-to-nose etc. images that show the bond and love between parent and child. Then if the child is willing we do a few images solo but its a tough age for that.

If they are crying and won't stop then we set up a new appointment, a few times if need be. Maybe it is too hot in the studio, but it may be your niece just does feel safe. Try using your brother and sister-in-law in the images, they will clam your nieces' nerves and allow you to capture the love between parent and child.

Ed Mendes

<p>I'd let her play with my camera if I were you. She is probably afraid of something, by

giving her the camera you'll show that's it no big deal.

<p>I know it's frightening to give an expensive camera to a baby but I always give my

camera to children to help them realize that it's not a big deal and they should not worry.

Babies are the best because they hardly move and are quite predictable. I've never had a

problem but I'm vigilent... Make sure you cover the lens though as the last thing you want is

to jump to remove little fingers from the lens... that would only increase the anxiety.

<p>--ben

I was able to capture a very nice portrait style photo of my son around that age by keeping a camera nearby and waiting until he was "ready" instead of the other way around. I kept a 50 1.4 on the camera and got in close to avoid most of the distracting background. A large aperature smoothed off the edges and allowed for the use of ambient light. Bounce flash could have been used otherwise.

There is also a lot to be said for keeping the camera handy for those precious candids that pop up all the time. You may already be doing this. The portait moment will come in due course. Just adapt to the scene at the time. Be ready to react quick but don't dwell. You will see the opportunity when it comes. Of course the likelyhood of success is influenced by the amount of time you spend with your niece.

Just as a mother speaking from experience. . . try shooting the baby in her own environment and time it so that the mom can nurse her to sleep in a quiet, dark room. Have the mom wait 15 to 20 minutes (do the limp arm check first) before moving the baby to where you want to photograph her. That should give you at least 20 minutes before the baby wakes up. Also, I would have the mom undress the baby before nursing her down. Babies feel their parent's anxiety. If mom and dad are getting anxious that will only worsen the situation.

I would recommend draping something over her carseat to cover it and placing her in the seat so she is comfortable. Many of the three month old babies that I shoot are also comfortable in a beanbag chair or wrap tightly in a blanket and placed in some sort of basket. Another suggestion is to have the parents leave the room and let the infant get comfortable with you - stay calm as I do agree with Leah that babies sense nervousness & uncertainity. Coo at her or sing softly while shooting is another trick. Good luck!

I do a lot of babies and my tricks are:

1 - schedule a lot of time so they can take breaks

2 - keep the parents nearby and in pics (crop later if needed)

3 - talk to them constantly (I give myself high pitched headaches)

4 - don't do too many outfit changes

5 - get em naked (most babies love this)

6 - use a moses basket & sheepskin (snuggle and cozy)

• 2 weeks later...

Alain,<BR><BR>

A few of my "baby shots" have been more of a headache than they were worth, but I do have one suggestion.<BR><BR>

Have the parents take her to a park in the morning, and play with her. Use a humongous telephoto lens, no flash, and subtly take pictures while they are playing. Also, at three months, most babies have just recieved most of their immunization shots so they are cranky and not feeling well...I won't start into that can of worms...just keep that in mind.<BR><BR>

Good luck,<BR>

Kimberly