500 f4.0L IS lens/ tripod set up?

chris_wadleigh

I am about to buy a 500 f4 IS and am upgrading to a Gitzo 1325 tripod. I have

an Arca-Swiss B2 head and want to get a Wimberley Sidekick for the lens. In the

reviews I've read, the sidekick is always said to work well with an A-S B1 head.

can anyone confirm my B2 head will also work fine with the sidekick? I could

also use suggestions on a back pack that I could use in the field that is large

enough for the 500 lens and can still be carried on a plane. Thank you.

Provided the B2 clamp can be positioned vertically and locked securely, and this position still

allows panning, I don't see any reason why the Sidekick shouldn't work fine with it.

I carry my 500/4 with 1DII body attached (and 3 other lenses + flash + extenders + 30D

body) in a Lowepro PhotoTrekker. Heavy, but it all fits and I've never had a problem on

regular passenger aircraft (it won't fit in the overhead bins of small commuter planes,

however). Hint: don't pack the lenshoods or easily removable tripod feet in the carry-on:

put those in checked luggage. Get one of the Corningware plastic dish covers for a

convenient lens cap for the 500/4.

I recommend you skip the Sidekick and get the full Wimberley. Depending on the type of photography you will be doing, you might want to add the gitzo level base, 1321, to the 1325. Regarding the plane issue, consider getting one of the bags made by Think Tank for the lens, not the tripod. More info here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=69

Joe Smith

Having used both extensively, I think the 'full' Wimberley is smidgen better than the Sidkick

in a few small ways. But the Sidekick works just fine with the 500/4 IS (I used that

combination for years). If the OP wants to quickly convert back to a ballhead to use short

lenses, the 'full' Wimberley is a useless encumberance.

I'd recommend the 'full' Wimberley if -- and ONLY if -- you don't want to use the tripod with

short lenses. I switched from Sidekick to 'full' because I discovered I was using the rig with

my 500 mm about 99+% of the time.

Naturescapes sells a part that fits the full Wimberley that makes it easy to use with those short focal length lenses. Check out the Store at Naturescapes. I do not like the Sidekick for a 500mm f 4 because of the added danger of the rig falling over. Too much weight off to one side. In a perfect world, it might get the job done for you, but field photography is not a perfect world. Why take the risk? Joe Smith

<I> I do not like the Sidekick for a 500mm f 4 because of the added danger of the rig

falling over. Too much weight off to one side.</i><P>

I disagree -- this statement is simply not correct. The weight of the lens is NOT off-

centered by any serious degree on a Sidekick (remember, I used a Sidekick with a 500/4 IS

for years, so I know what I'm talking about). And the Naturescapes gimbal head adapter is

no substitute for a ball head, if you really need one -- you are locked into the rigid two-

axis geometry of the Wimberley and have nowhere near the level of precise adjustments

possible with a ball head -- even with a Gitzo leveling base. And unless you also have an

L-bracket on your camera, good luck getting a vertically-oriented shot.<P>

The main issue I had with the Sidekick and the 'fill' Wimberley was: what in the world do

you do with your 500 mm lens when you're out walking someplace and want to use the

ballhead with a short lens? Put your big glass on the ground (in the sand, mud, snow,

water....)? Carry a backpack just to hold the big lens for this situation? I ended up

making a little adapter with Wimberley flash bracket parts that mounts a small ballhead

(RRS 25) on top of the 'full' Wimberley ABOVE the 500 mm -- not commercially available,

not nearly as rigid as a big ballhead, but I don't have to dismount and store the 500 mm

when using it.

I completely agree with all of Marc's comments about the Ballhead being the best option for those shots with shorter focal length lenses. However, I disagree with his comments about regarding the Sidekick shifting the weight. I used it too with my 500mm f 4.0 before I got a full Wimberley. I wish I had started with the full Wimberley for my 500 f 4.0. Only you can decide which tradeoff you are willing to accept. Joe Smith.

<I> I disagree with his comments about regarding the Sidekick shifting the weight. I used it

too with my 500mm f 4.0 before I got a full Wimberley.</i><P>

Was that a Canon 500/4 IS? I ask because if it wasn't, you really don't know what the

balance of that particular lens would be on a Sidekick. The degree of centering depends on

the geometry of the tripod foot. On the 500 IS, the tripod foot is pretty short, so the rig is

fairly well centered. On other 500's, like the Nikon AFS, the foot is much taller.

Thank you all for the valuable input. I ordered the Sidekick and Gitzo 1325, traded the A-S B2 for a B1 with a friend and got the Photo Trekker. The ease of switching between the 500 and smaller lenses is too tempting so I will use this set up for a while and see how I like it. If I'm not comfortable with the Sidekick then I'll switch to the full Gimbal. Thanks again, Chris.

Chris: have fun with your new rig. One thing to consider: instead of getting a lens plate for

your 500 IS, consider a replacement foot (lighter, shorter, only slightly more expensive). I

have one from <A HREF ="http://www.naturescapes.net/store/product.php?

productid=94&cat=30&page=1">4th Generation Designs</a>; Kirk and RRS offer similar

items. These work with any Arca-Swiss clamp system.