What is an almost new XTI worth?

tim_miller7

I bought an XTI body in November for shooting gymnastics. I have pretty much

convinced myself to move to the 30D (less noise, faster fps are primary

reasons). What is the XTI body really worth in the used market. I have taken

perhaps 6000 pictures and the body is as clean as can be; no nicks, dings or

wayward mustard (dont ask). It would also come with an extra battery and the

BG-E3 grip. What would be a fair selling price? I am torn between keeping it as

a backup or getting it out of my camera bag.

I would say that just the body is worth around US$580. With the battery and grip, probably around US$700. But, (and this is a big "but") that is assuming the buyer wants those accessories. This is based on being able to find the body, new, for just under US$650. Do you still have all the packaging, UPC, and blank warranty cards? If not, you might find it worth less. Do keep in mind that almost half of the warranty period has elapsed. The more time elapses, the less it will be worth.

I wonder why anyone would pay $580 for a used cam with 6000 shots on it with only half the warranty left.....when they can buy a brand new one for $70 more? Although, that does seem to be the going price. I know, I for one, wouldn't. I'd just keep it.

But, then that's from a person who started photography in 1973....and has NEVER sold one single piece of gear he has bought. Although, I research it to death before i buy...sometimes up to a year of research...so, I pretty much have bought what I want/need.

Who says the 30D has less noise than the XTI?

Alot of people think that *should* be the case based upon the XTi's higher pixel density, but no major site has done a real comparision. Keep in mind that the 30D sensor was also in the 20D and now is pretty old tech (What. . 3years+? That is much older than the 1 year XTi sensor tech).

I would either jump up to the 5D, or wait for the next round of products (this fall, or more likely next years PMA)

<p><i>I wonder why anyone would pay $580 for a used cam with 6000 shots on it with only half the warranty left.....when they can buy a brand new one for $70 more?</i></p><p>...or a Rebel XT for $80 less? The value you place on $70 is not the same as the value others place on $70. It's all relative to what you can (or are willing to) afford.</p>

"...The value you place on $70 is not the same as the value others place on $70. It's all relative to what you can (or are willing to) afford..."

Well, "afford" has various interpretations. One reason I might consider an extra $70 well worth it is the difference in warranty time:

$70 is a waste of extra money, if the camera has no repairs needed for 12 months. Both the used and new will be in the same situation. However, if the camera needs repair in 11 months and 25 days...the new will still be under warranty, the used wil not..........$70 may well be a small price to pay now.

However, that benefit is to the buyer of Tim's cam...I was just thinking out loud. My real answer is that I would not sell it, as Tim. Yeah, he would have an extra $580 in his pocket, but he already has a half way decent cam. He could put a longer focal length zoom (70-200mm) on the 30D..........and a wide to short tele zoom (24-70mm) on the XTi........and not miss any shots swapping lenses.....for instnce. The 30D for the action, the XTi for the candids of the gymnists and proud moms and dads.....for another instance.

All depends what Tim wants. i seriously doubt if the XTi will sit in the bag as back up. If that's all Tim will do with it, then yeah, sell it.

EBay is an excellent arbitrator of worth, in the sense of how much someone will pay for an item. It's a terrible arbitrator of what someone <i>should</i> pay.

<p>

Which is to say, Ebay is a seller's market. People bid the price of used lenses over their retail cost for no particular reason. While you can plot long term trend lines over what people have paid in the past, in the immediate short term, value is all over the place.

<p>

As Mike points out, the only way to see what you'll get for it on that particular day is to dump it on Ebay and find out.

<p>

DI